1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! My external hard disk makes my laptop slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rolex_argoso, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rolex_argoso

rolex_argoso Thread Starter

When i plug my external hard disk through a usb my laptops performance becomes really slow... when i try to access the hard disk its super slow like ten to 15 minutes... My external HDD is a 120Gb toshiba

before all of this happened i was insatalling the pc suite for my sony ericsson z610i..

and i installed that netframe 1.1 for xp service pack 1 and then thats it...

can sum 1 help me please..

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

You need to disconnect the External and then finish installing all your Windows updates. If you only have SP1 you need SP2 and about 73 more updates since then. Once everything is updated then try the External again.

Have you had this HDD running before you tried to install those things? If you did how was it running then? Is your USB ports 2.0?

3. ert135

ert135

Mabe try it on a faster computer? and see if it makes a difference?

4. rolex_argoso

rolex_argoso Thread Starter

actually i was installing these things and then i i connected my HDD.. since then it became slow.. can u help me?

my usb ports are 2.0..

5. JDonner

JDonner Guest

I assume that was a joke? :D

6. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

How is the external drive powered. Is it only USB powered or does it have a separate power supply.

If only USB powered, try using a powered USB 2 hub.

The drive may also have provision of an external power supply, if so then use this.

hth

Ceri

7. lefty1953

lefty1953

If you connected it while installing programs you might just want to reboot and see if if it runs better. That is if your done installing programs.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/558647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice