1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! My external hard drive has no power!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KaitlynC, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaitlynC

KaitlynC Thread Starter

Hi!

I went to the lab to work on a digital photo project today and my external hard drive won't turn on! It is a Coltech and says "3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure" on it. It's one of the ones that has a USB and a power cord to plug into an outlet, and an on/off switch to turn on the power.

So I plugged it in, put the USB into the iMAC I'm using, turned on the switch... and it won't turn on... no power at all... normally it makes little noises when it turns on, but nothing.

I checked all the connections, both ends of the power cord and USB. I tried it in another iMac. I tried plugging a desk lamp into the wall to see if it was the electrical outlet... everything was fine...

HELP! ... my project is due on tuesday and all my photos and work are on my external hard drive!

Thanks!

Kaitlyn

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It might just be the power adapter or the enclosure that has died. You might be able to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and either install it internally in a computer or put it into a new enclosure. Most computer places sell enclosures if you need it in a hurry. Hopefully its not the hard drive inside the enclosure that has failed, in which case you hopefully have the all-important backups of your data.

3. KaitlynC

KaitlynC Thread Starter

Thank you! Thats reassuring at least... I have no idea how to do that, but I will get a tech guy at my university to help me tomorrow and hopefully he can figure it out. I don't have backups :S I guess if I lose it I've learned my lesson the hard way... hopefully not though. Thank you!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Good luck (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1043838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice