1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help My Family (Please)!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel D, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daniel D

Daniel D Thread Starter

Greetings,
    I live in Florida and I am in Mississippi for the week. I was waching "Pirates of the Carribian (1)" at my brother-in-law's. I noticed more things could be downloaded if I playded it on a computer. The only problem was they didn't have a DVD player for their computer. The next day I went to a water park and on the way back to the car I noticed two computer towers (yes just sitting there), one with a DVD player!!! So, I then proceeded to plug it in to their computer and I get: 1. Windows Media Player displays "no disk" and this message about a decoder requirement, 2. The software to play extra fetures downloads but displays "Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem" (lowering the resolution/color depth did not fix the problem). What do I do? Thank You, Dan.

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

1. Windows XP (in fact all Windows) by default, cannot play DVDs. All DVD players are third-party add-ins.

2. Normally, with purchased DVD players, comes the software and codecs to play DVDs. This does not mean the software was actually installed. Many folks buy a DVD player for their computer and fail to install the accompanying software thinking that is is for Win98 or so. Windows does read DVDs (with the DVD player); it just can't play the movies.

3. Typically the codec that comes with the DVD player will be either PowerDVD or WinDVD. Installing either one will allow Windows Media Player (as well as PowerDVD/WinDVD) to play the DVD. There are also some freeware codecs out there that do the same thing.

4. Just having the DVD player is not enough. The codec must also be installed.

Courtney sends....

3. batharoy

batharoy

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

If this is true, then how is it that the Windows Media Player on my XP64 does play DVDs?

5. steveb1492

steveb1492

It probably has the codec installed. If it does, WMP can play the DVD fine. (I think)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice