1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! My girlfriend's teeanager's iTunes won't work!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by thepcjanitor, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepcjanitor

thepcjanitor Thread Starter

No audio at all.

When I go to control panel/sounds it says "no audio device", but my speakers are plugged in, etc.

The Sound Trouble Shooting routine sends me to check to make sure it's not on mute in volume control" (accessories/entertainment) but when I try to get into "volume control" I get the message "There are no active mixer devices available".

When we open iTunes, a pop says, "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/video playback may not operate properly."

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your speakers may be plugged into the sound output jacks but it sounds like Windows does not have the drivers installed correctly for the sound controller.

Did the sound work OK before installing iTunes?

You did not mention your operating system. The following is based on Windows XP ...

Go into the System Control Panel and select the Hardware tab. Then click the Device Manager button.

Expand the list (click plus sign) for the Sound, Video and Game Controllers entry.

Do you see any sound devices listed and do any of them have a yellow exclamation point or red X icon?

3. thepcjanitor

Did the sound work OK before installing iTunes?
    ANS: Everything worked, iTunes included, until after I did some spy/virus cleanup stuff.

You did not mention your operating system. The following is based on Windows XP ...
    ANS: YES

Go into the System Control Panel and select the Hardware tab. Then click the Device Manager button. ANS: In control panel my only choices about hardware are "printers and other hardware" or "sound speech and audio devices". "Game controllers" is in the printers list but I appear to have no games. "Portable media devices?" Nothing.

Expand the list (click plus sign) for the Sound, Video and Game Controllers entry.
    Do you see any sound devices listed and do any of them have a yellow exclamation point or red X icon?

ANS: couldn't follow the path you described. However, with the help of Augie65 I had already done the following and everything looked OK.

Start> Run> type devmgmt.msc then hit OK.
    Click the + beside Sound, video and game controllers
    Is there any symbol beside Audio Controller?
    If there is, you may need to update the driver from the site of the controller or computer manufacturer.
    If no warning symbol, the only other suggestion that I can think of is to check the dependencies of Windows Audio.
    Start> Run> type services.msc then hit OK.
    Double click on both:
    Plug and Play and Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Make sure both are Automatic and both are Started.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Please list everything that shows up under "Sound, video and game controllers" when you expand it. You will need to manually type it into a new post or attach a screen capture as a gif or jpeg file to your post.

5. thepcjanitor

I made screen prints of what I find when I go to Control Panel. In a word doc I attached.

Notice that the audio stuff is all greyed out.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I don't think that TSG allows uploading MS-Word .DOC files. Can you just save the screen captures as JPEG or GIF files and upload them?

I do not believe that anything can be Grayed out in the Device Manager screen. It either appears or it doesn't. See attached sample of the Device Manager screen with the Sound, video and game controller list expanded.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!