1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help my Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2 has died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trebour, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trebour

Trebour Thread Starter

Hi i have this board and an itel quad chip, i have just installed a new graphics card, and all was fine then i decided it would be a great idea to play with the bus frequencys in my bios (big mistake),
    I rebooted and nothing happened, all that does happen is the dvd drive tries to read whats in the drive constantly, it doesn't beep any more the floppy drive isn't working ether,
    I tried to reset the board and left the battery out for quite a while, i also have tried to recover the bios, with a cd with the instructions on the Intel site
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/d...-023360.htm#cdrom
    I have tried with floppy and took the dvd off line but to no avail,
    it isn't getting recognized
    i have also removed the graphics card and see if it booted but no,
    i have even checked the leads on every thing,
    I have even changed my memory to see if not is a prob,
    the board seems operational as if i do take the memory out the board beeps at me, also i know the bios has been reset as i had turned off my on board lan connection as im wireless, since i took the battery out etc the lan is now operational as it flashs when is turned on strange.
    is this a bios problem which i think it is? and does any one know how to fix it?
    Can i have damaged my cpu or board by doing what ive done?
    Shall i just go buy a new board or cpu?
    Any help i would greatly appresh no one seems to know any thing about this
    Thanks Rob

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If you get to POST, then try getting into BIOS and choose the defaut settings- should be a setting for it somewhere.
    If yo uhave RAID drives, you will probably have to re enable it in bios, as by default it sets to no raid. This one I found out the hard way!
    Failing that, try taking out everything- memory, graphics card, hard drives, and any other cards you have. Then try with just memory and graphics card, and see if you can POST- if you can, gradually add everything else back.

And just to check, see what your PSU is rated at, and see what th enew graphics card needs. It may be a simple power problem :)

3. Trebour

Trebour Thread Starter

I cant get in to anything its simply not coming on im in the process of taking all cables etc off and starting from scratch i custom built this rig and im running a 650w psu however i am upgrading to a 850w but im sure its ok for the time being, my graphics card is the xfx geforce 8800 ultra which is power hungry but i think the psu is just about ok

4. Trebour

Trebour Thread Starter

I have done as you said and took all non essential components off and tried booting but its still not working the dvd drive is still doing its thing im nearly ready to give up.

5. Trebour

Trebour Thread Starter

Update :

It only took me 7 days to work out the problem haha, after taking to 3 computer shops whom had no idea, and after talking to a so called expert at intel who again couldn't help,
    The problem was for some reason after the changes i made to the bios nothing worked apart from the dvd drive going nuts, baffled after clearing the cmos and trying to reinstall the bios still no joy then today i tried everything i possibilly could changed everything on the board still nothing
    In the manual it refers to how to have jumpers for bios recovery etc.... thats it and normal boot,
    i looked very closely at my board to check for damage of any kind and saw another jumper configuration for the bios refering to bios config in the 2-3 position rather than in 1-2 position normal,
    and hey presto it let me in to the bios wooooooohhhhhooooohhhoooooowwwwwwwhhhhhooooooo
    needless to say i was happy so reset what i had done wrong put the jumpers back to normal position and its works,
    i have learn t a very important lesson

If it's not broken, don't fix it rolleyes.gif

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah many boards do not reset by pulling the battery, and what a shame no one you saw ever mentioned reset jumper for cmos. Amazing!

7. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Personally, I thought this meant battery out and reset the jumpers. Last time I mentioned this, I got jumped on for not reading proerly and assuming the writer was incompetent. (Different board, dont go there any more).

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is no excuse for someone at Intel not telling you to put the jumper on pins 2 & 3 (configure position). Configure position has been an option for as long as I remember even back to the original Pentium boards.

Also, in configure position you will get an additional menu (Maintenance) that is not displayed by entering BIOS with the F2 key.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/675166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice