1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! My ISP is blocking concurrent internet access!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by centerpeace, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. centerpeace

centerpeace Thread Starter

Hi Everyone, I have an unusual problem. I'm spending extended periods of time in China due to business. The ISP here just started blocking internet access if you have more than 2 computers hooked up to the DSL connection. Basically, if a 3rd computer tries to access the web, it would either get a blank page, or one of your original 2 wouldn't be able to access the web. I searched for the answer and the consensus seems to be one or a combination of the following: 1. ISP tracks the mac address of http requests 2. They're using snmp info from the router or dsl modem 3. Some md5 modification/verification of the dialup software. 3rd one doesn't apply to me since I'm using a D-Link DI624 Rev. C wireless router. I got a Sony & Acer laptop that I use regularly, but I also have a couple other devices that needs the internet. Based on one suggestion, I tried spoofing my Sony's MAC address to the same one as on the Acer using SMAC. But both computers were having trouble connecting via WLAN (WPA2-PSK). I have static IP/DNS on both laptops because sometimes it took a long time to connect under DHCP. Do I need to enable DHCP for both to connect to the WLAN with the same MAC address? Won't the router see a conflict w/ assigning 2 IPs to the same MAC address? I got conflicting info on whether the D-Link 624 has snmp or not. I can't find it any where in the menus, so I set a router firewall rule blocking all traffic in and out on UDP 161-162. But that doesn't seem to help either. I don't know how to config the dsl modem to disable snmp. Is that even necessary? There was another suggestion to place another router in between the D-Link and the modem, using the D-Link as an access point. (I don't really want to go the software route and have to leave 1 computer on all the time.) DSL Modem 2nd Router D-Link(WLAN AP Mode)devices 1,2,3... I don't know if the D-Link 624 is able to work in AP mode with a different model "2nd Router". But if it is, in this topology, would everything the "2nd router" receive only contain 1 MAC address (D-Link's)? Hence all the http requests the ISP would see is coming from 1 MAC address, enabling me to connect 3-4 devices behind the D-Link? Should I use clone MAC address feature in the "2nd router" so that it's the same as D-Links? Bottom line is, I'm trying to connect 3-4 devices up to this one dsl connection. So if you guys have any suggestion on how to get one of these solutions to work and fight these tyrannical ISPs over here I'd really appreciate it. Thanks everyone, I know this is a lengthy thread.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I'm not sure we can assist in this. I've asked for another opinion.

Basically you are trying to circumvent restrictions put into place by your ISP, with whom you have a contract with stating their rules and regulations.

3. valis

valis Moderator

not only that, but trying to circumvent rules and regs put in place by the chinese government may not be in anyone's best interest.

Just my two cents worth.....

v

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

True, I didn't think he was posting from China, but, I just checked and he is.....didn't completely read the entire post before I replied :)

I think it's best if we close this one up.

5. valis

valis Moderator

agreed. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice