1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!!!! My laptop died! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stangapds, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stangapds

stangapds Thread Starter

Alright, I got home today from school, went to turn on my laptop, and this is what happened. It is an Acer 2304LCi. I have all of my progamming stuff on it for the telemetry for microboard at school. I can't lost this laptop! Okay, so I plugged it in, dead battery, and hit the power button. The green power led turns on, the hdd light comes on and stays on. You can hear the cpu fan for about 3-5 seconds, and then it dies. You can hear it try to read the cd drive, and you can hear the hdd running, but there is no video! No external or anything on the onboard LCD. I don't know what is wrong. I have tried removing and replacing, Ram, Hdd, and CPU. What do I do? I can't lose it!

Thanks to whoever can help,
    ~Mike

2. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

well it doesnt sound like the disk is gone from what you say (as you WOULD see a video display), so you should at least be able to use one of those external drive bays to retrieve your information.

Could be a problem with the power or the main board. Is there any more information you can give? Have you tried plugging the laptop in to an external monitor, maybe the laptop was dropped ?

3. stangapds

stangapds Thread Starter

It's possible it could of been dropped a while ago, but not recently. I did try an external monitor. That was the first thing I did. I don't know what other info I can give. I have it plugged into an external power source, and it still didn't work. I tried the external monitor and everything. I don't have the money to upgrade or buy I new laptop right now, so I really don't want to lost this one.

4. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

well unless the laptop is under warranty, it is usually not worth while getting it fixed if there is an issue with the board. It is usually makes more sense to just buy a new laptop. If the hard drive had failed, you would at least get an error saying something like "No bootable device available". I dont know if I can be of any more assistance without seeing the thing, sorry.

5. stangapds

stangapds Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I am going to look on ebay for at least a used board and see prices. If they aren't too high I will just replace the board. It seems to be the issue. If the price is over 100 - 150 i might just consider buying a netbook or something. Something little would be idea for my programming laptop. Thanks again,

~Mike

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Before you purchase a netbook, check the system requirements for your programming software. Netbooks are light on system resources and designed for basic use.

7. stangapds

stangapds Thread Starter

Okay, thanks! I will be sure to check that out.

~Mike

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice