1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! My P4 turned into a Celeron!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azahn, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azahn

azahn Thread Starter

This is my first post so please bear with me. I have a 1.7Ghz P4 with an Intel D850MV Board and 256Mb of PC800 RDRAM. I am experiencing problems with gaming and general multimedia. I compared my system with my roomates system and it runs at about half the speed. (He has same configuration with a 1.6Ghz P4) So, as anyone would be, I said "wtf", :). I ran the new version of SiSoft Sanda (2003) and found that my 'Memory Bandwidth' is fine but my 'Cache and Memory Bechmark' is about half the speed of what it should be. Actually it mimics the Celeron 1.3Ghz w/ PC100. Also, I found that my processor arithmatic and multimedia benchmarks are about half of normal speed. I am wondering if anyone has every seen this problem before or knows what else to check. Thanks for the help.

Ive attached a screen of the 'Cache and Memory Benchmark'.

-=Andy=-

Attached Files:

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Does the BIOS report the correct speed for your CPU when it boots up? If not, you may need to go into BIOS setup and change the FSB value to something higher.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Are you sure you got what you paid for? Go to Intel's site and get the ID tool to find out for sure. It almost sounds like your board and bus speeds are not set up correctly for the hardware you have in there.

4. azahn

azahn Thread Starter

The bios does display a 1.7 ghz and it also says that it is running at the correct 400 mhz bus. Is there anything other than bios that i can check?

5. azahn

azahn Thread Starter

I checked intel and the id is correct also is the chipset.

6. hellyeah17

hellyeah17

Check your manual and see that the switches on your motherboard are correct. They limit your BUS speed depending on the setting.

7. bencpht

bencpht

Do you have the rdram installed correctly. You've got 4 slots, and I'm guessing two 128mb chips. You still need the continuity chips in the other slots. Your manual should tell you about those.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/rdram.htm

I don't even know if it would boot if these were installed incorrectly, just adding my 2 cents.
    I believe SiSoft Sandra will also identify your proc and rdram, does that say P4 and pc800? If somehow you got the incorrect ram, that may be a big enough bottleneck to slow everything else down. You're only as fast as your slowest component.

8. azahn

azahn Thread Starter

my ram is installed correctly. I have the correct bandwitdh of my ram.

The motherboard settings dont allow me change the setting of the bus or any kind of multipliers.

Im thinking that my processor isnt working correctly. It seems that my processor or my motherboard isnt transfering data correctly. Could it be an error with my L1 or L2 cache on my processor?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice