1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! My pc constantly freezes after 1 minute

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by small chap, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. small chap

small chap Thread Starter

Ok so i appreciate any help given in advance and i will try to be as thorough as i can

I left my pc on for about 24 hours and then began to us it again. I noticed that it was running incredibly slowly, and would not let me open more than 1 folder for instance. Also when i oppened a folder occasionally it would not load the contents but display a windows logo at the top of the folder. I thought it a bit weird and thought it was probably a memory problem. I rebooted and after about 1 minute it totaly froze. Mouse pointer, keyboard all froze. I wasnt sure about the rest of the computer. But for the first minute after the desktop was displayed i could do what i wanted, if i was quick eneugh. I force turned it off and booted it up again. It still froze after 1 minute and i booted it up again. This time i hit control alt delete and watched the memory and proccessor. Both looked normal and then my pc froze and the results of the proccessor and memory continued to be displayed for about 10 seconds. This confirms that the pc was indeed freezing to. As soon as my pc froze the proccessor clocked up to 100% but memory didnt alter. Then the readings stoped 10 seconds after my pc froze. I was a bit stumped.

I booted into bios and dissabled the boot windows quickly option and tried again. No change and so i downloaded the microsoft memory test thing and put it on a bootable floppy, still convinced it was memory relate. However the diagnosis reports no errors. Again I was stumped.

I booted into safe mode and to my surprise everything worked for as long as i wanted it to. i dissabled all programs form startup and i ran spware, adware, virus etc tests. Also i ran a registry fixer. Now after all of that i was confident that what ever it was would be gone. I booted up again and there was still no change.

Again i booted into safe mode and i checked the event viewer from the administrative options in the control panel. It reported an error while trying to load elbyVCD when the system was started. I had previoulsy uninstalled the application that required this and so i dissabled the drive and booted up again. Still froze after about 1 minute. Booted into safe mode and checked the event viewer and now there was no errors. I am unsure if dissabling a drive is eneugh or do i need to completely unistall it?

I then restored my sytem to before it started crashing but no surprise it didnt help. I then attached proccess explorer to the startup adn booted up and watched all of the programs load and i saw nothing irregular. I dissabled a lot of the no essential proccesses and rebooted. Nope, no change.

I am unsure where to go from here as i believe i have rulled out almost all of the possible things that are causing the problems. Unless it is directly related to the operating system and therefore the faul of windows xp. I have made bootable floppys of the recovery console and have not yet run it as i am unsure if it is windows related. If it is the o/s then surely safe mode would not boot up? But for now i will keep searching for problems inbetween doing my homework/coursework. I need to fix this problem as quickly as i can as word isnt to brilliant in safe mode and neither is printing, especially with homework saved on my pc that needs to be printed. It is possible i know, just awkward. I am currently downloading a linux live cd, knoppix, and i will run this and see if it loads up correctly without error/freezes.

I appreciate any help and unless i have missed something obvious, i believ i have a real problem. Thankyou for listening and if you could reply as soon as possible, that would be great.

Wow big first post ;D

2. Sponsor

3. small chap

oh and i have defragmented my c drive 4-5 times and also uninstalled all the programs installed before it froze. Just incase you need to know

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Try Uninstalling your Video card driver and re-install it and also check for any updates for it.

BTW you post could be a bit shorter

5. small chap

ok i will try that now. Thanks for the help and i will make my posts shorter in the future. I just wanted to be thorough. Can my video card driver just become currupt though? I havent changed it or modified it or upgraded it.

6. small chap

oh and after ive uninstalled it, how do i reinstall it?

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Don't have the driver on disc....then tell us what Video card it is and we'll provide a link to it.....or you can go to the manufactures site and check

Not saying that's the prob but a good place to start

8. small chap

no i dont have it on disk as it came with my pc. It is a nVidia GeForce 6600 PCI Express Graphics Card...

9. stillmind

stillmind

Small Chap--
    I hope for your sake you don't have Norton. Also you didn't specify whether you have other browsers like Yahoo Toolbar, Google Toolbar, Ask.com, AOL, etc. If you do tell that on your next post and I will try to help you after I have that info. Also I assume you have cleaned your temporary files, including cookies and files from the Internet Options under "Tools" or run *.tmp from the Start menu.

10. bonk

bonk Banned

You didn't get a disc with the PC labeled say..Utilities or drivers??

To be safe create a restore point go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

Click on create a restore point call it Video driver update or something

looking for your driver

11. small chap

ok so bonk i dissabled the device and rebooted and it didnt help with it dissabled... does this mean its not that, or should i uninstall reinstall update it anyway... I couldnt find the driver but i didnt look for long

And stillmind... No lol i dont have norton, all tempory files, cookies and the likes have been deleted and im unsure if i have other browsers, i dont think so but how can i check?

12. small chap

and no bonk i did not get a disk like that with my pc, infact the only disk i did get with my pc was microsoft works, which a) was allready installed and b) is pretty shocking and so i uninstalled it and got microsoft office 2003. I didnt get a windows recovery cd or anything useful.

13. bonk

bonk Banned

Well it's your call but when in Safemode you say it's OK...can be for two reasons atleast one it uses just a basic video card setting and two it only loads up some basic programs

So either try the Video card suggestion or start eliminating programs on startup one by one.

14. bonk

bonk Banned

15. small chap

but it still freezes when the video driver is dissabled so i wouldnt have thought it was that, but i have no programs at startup and i think i have only the neccersery proccesses as well??? This is why i dont know whats wrong with it, or what to do.

16. small chap

i will try the video card. Thanks for the link

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/519382