Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP!! My PC is dying

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  stevewhitt 
#1 ·
Hi,
Hope someone can help me here. My PC started acting up about 3 months ago. First it kept restarting and when it came back on I reported the 'serious error' the system had recovered from. I get this message...
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
I followed the self help as best I could but no improvement, and things are getting steadily worse. Now I cannot play audio/video, and loads of things 'encounter a problem and need to close', today even the screensaver!
I have scanned entire system with Norton, no virus, I have cleaned up spyware with Ad-Aware. I think I have installed an updated device driver for graphics card. Please help, whilst I can still get on the net!
Steve:) PS. Just had an error message that said 'generic Host Processor has encountered a problem and needs to close. Is there anything I need to do before anyone will help me? This HJT thingy for instance?

#2 ·
Could someone please help TODAY? It's getting worse. generic host process for win32 keeps closing itself after starting up. no audio/video, windows updates download but fail to install. I'm back at work for 1 week after tomorrow and at this rate ther will be no PC left by next time I have a day off! I have been told I need to re-install windows xp, is this true?
Thanks
Steve

#3 ·
Do you know how? This seems like a MAJOR system screw-up. It seems like re-installing IS a good option. It also seems (to me) that this might be registry-related. If you can get on the net, go to google and search for "registry cleaner". Get a registry cleaner (most will do the job), run it, and fix all the errors it comes up with. It also might be a driver error, judging by the error message you posted. Unfortunately, I'm no expert at drivers.

#6 ·
Hi,
Yes, I have both a printer and a scanner. I'm not sure the person who suggested to me that re-installing windows actually knew anything about it! I have followed the link, and done as it suggests but still things get worse.
Steve

#11 ·
I searched the number at the end of the error you posted and it came up with the page I linked to. Before I did this, I thought it was a major driver error. But now I know - You don't need to reinstall windows. Just read the link! The number at the end of the error is a reference to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article - remember that in future and search for the number in Google or the KB itself.

#13 ·
After reading the article, find your video card manufacturer's website and download the drivers. Re-install them. If you don't know what make your video card is, then it may be much easier to run a "repair" install. This re-installs Windows, but keeps all your programs and settings. However, it will not keep Windows updates or updates to built-in programs (like the Internet Explorer 7 update or the Media Player 10/11 update).

#14 ·
The article also says it may be related to Symantec PCAnywhere. If you have this installed, try removing it or looking for an update, as mentioned in the article. And remember, it's your best bet to try out as many solutions as you can, not just mark one person as stupid and follow another's instructions.

#17 ·
The problems all seemed to start after I installed a vimicro webcam. I uninstalled everything to do with it but again that didn't help. Anyone got any ideas?
To summarise, PC crashes, monitor shows 'no sync' for a second then PC restarts and the 'thread stuck in a device driver' error message is on screen, this may happen several times before PC actually stays on. Then I started getting the 'generic host process for win32 services' error, I have downloaded a hotfix from microsoft for this problem but it didn't work. About the same time I lost audio playback, have downloaded and installed updated drivers for graphics card and sound card, no improvement!
Today I gave the insides of the PC and the fans a good clean and could see nothing loose inside. Have uninstalled and disconnected the printer and scanner as Bonk advised, still no joy. Someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.