1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! My PC is shutting down constantly :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Penguin Princess, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Penguin Princess

Penguin Princess Thread Starter

Well I have to type this quickly before my pc shuts down yet again lol

Yesterday I had a power cut and of course this turned off my pc, ever since then my pc just wont stay on.

I'll start the pc, it will say it's performing a system check because the pc was not shut down correctly etc.
    Firstly it said that my antivirus was corrupted, so I temporarily uninstalled it (with the intention of installing it again), then it said my msn was corrupted, so I removed that too, and then it said it was fine.. But it still shuts down.

I've now reinstalled my antivirus and I've searched for the blaster worm virus but it hasn't found anything..

I thought maybe it was a power supply problem but it works fine in safe mode.

:( I don't know what to do.

Oh and I have windows XP, I also have linux and the same happens there too if that helps.

2. endfro

endfro

If it happens on both Linux and Windows, something makes me want to say that it is a hardware error.

Maybe not a hardware error in the sense of broken this or broken that. But with the power being cut as it did, files on your disk could have been corrupted.

I would suggest going to www.ultimatebootcd.com and grabbing/burning their ISO. Use that to diagnose some of your hardware (Memtest for ram). Just make sure that if you want to run a diagnostic on your disk drive, that you use the diagnostic software for the appropriate manufacturer.

I am on my way out the door from work today, so I will check back on this tomorrow and see if anything new has happened.

Good luck!

3. Penguin Princess

Oh thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate the help :)

I've just checked that website, is the program easy enough for a computer newbie like me to use? I'm on my laptop now so I can download it too :)

Thanks again for the help :D

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The odds are this is hardware and the hard shut down can hurt the power supply, but before proceeding there. I would try System restore to back before all this happened.
    Incidentally what is performing this system check telling you all these things are corrupt? Windows really has no such utility unless this is a branded pc and the maker does.

5. Penguin Princess

Well it says that it's windows :\

It just says that it's checking for file consistencies (or something like that), but sometimes the pc doesn't stay on long enough for it to finish, sometimes it does, but it will shut down within 10 minutes after that.

It has windows in the corner of the system check screen, so I assume that it is windows, sorry I'm quite a computer newbie as you can probably tell :(

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

No need to apologize, we were all new at one time. Please try System Restore (Start, Programs, Accessories, System Restore.....and pick a date prior to these issues and restore.

7. Penguin Princess

Thank you :) and I'll try that now, fingers crossed, hehe.

8. Penguin Princess

Sorry to post again but I thought I would update that it wont allow me to do a system restore unfortunately. :( Firstly it said it was unable to restore the system, and now it wont stay on long enough for me to try again. :(

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

We need to get some error messages to spot the hardware problem...Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup & recovery, uncheck automatically restart hit apply and OK.....now when it shuts down we will get an error message you can give us...
    If I were you, you need to get the hardware looked at here. It's either heat caused by loose heat synch/fan on processor, failing fan or mismatched ram.

10. Penguin Princess

Ooh alright, I'll try that :) it's getting late for me now so I'll have to do it in the morning but as soon as I have, I'll post here with the update.

(thanks again for helping by the way, I was panicking so much when it started happening)

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK let us know!

12. endfro

endfro

Penguin Princess,

Sorry I couldnt reply earlier. I usually dont check Techguy from home as I am not usually online at home for long enough.

The CD that I had you download, it is REALLY easy to use. Do you know how to burn an ISO image to a CD? If so, do that and boot off of the CD. If everything I just said to you seems like I am speaking Greek, no worries, just say the word and I or someone else will explain to you how to burn a ISO image and how to boot off the cd!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice