1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!!! My printer is showing OFFLINE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gizmoo, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gizmoo

gizmoo Thread Starter

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a BROTHER Printer - Model # MFC-490CW.

Everything is in working order except my printer is showing offline under the control panel and my printing document is just sitting there because it is offline. Can someone please help me into getting my printer to work!!!!

2. skarlet22

skarlet22

how is this connected to your computer? network? usb? if it's over the network, can you check the IP address of the printer. print a settings page on the printer itself.. and ping it on your computer using command prompt and open the embedded web server on the internet..if you were able to ping it and open the ews, then it is getting a valid IP. if it is connected via usb, try to double check if it is properly connected to the right port and check on the properties of the printer, click on the ports tab.. you might want to cancel first the print jobs. and also try to uninstall and reinstall the driver for this printer. reboot your computer and printer..

3. gizmoo

gizmoo Thread Starter

My printer is wireless so it's connected through my wireless router. It's showing it's connected but I am unable to scan or print.

4. gizmoo

gizmoo Thread Starter

Ok nevermind I finally got my printer to print, but unfortuntely I am unable to scan. All it does it give a reading of connecting to PC but it fails and won't scan my document.

5. skarlet22

skarlet22

double check your connection. and try to check if there are firewalls installed in your computer. check all the scanning settings on your computer..if you are able to print then, you should be able to scan..it's just on the configurations on the printer and your computer..

6. gizmoo

gizmoo Thread Starter

where can i find my scanner settings?

7. skarlet22

skarlet22

you should have there scan manager.you can locate that on the EWS when typed the ip address of the printer on the address bar.. enter the ip address of your computer and create a scanned document folder, and also if you are using a firewall add the ip address of your printer on the exemptions..

8. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

According to this you can only scan from a PC connected directly to the Brother device. It's not real clear whether directly means USB-only, but I found that to be true with my HP all-in-one wireless so I suspect it's true here.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are running Win 7 you can not scan from a network attached device unless it is physically connected to your computer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice