1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! my system has crashed five times since 0900 hrs this morning

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Martial33, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    I've had this computer back to the shop many times.

Each time the shop is told me of something new and unrelated.

First they said it was the board. They said my capacitors were leaking however they showed me my board in comparison to one was bulging capacitors and mine it looked fine. I didn't see any evidence myself of leaking.

Next they change the processor because my processor wouldn't match up with the board.

At the same time to change the power source because apparently the old power source would not plug into the new board (this is all on my dime).

RAM was installed last summer (one gig) around the same time the drives were replaced.

Since the summer and spent about $450 on this machine and I can't see that there's anything else to replace.

This morning it has crashed at least five times!

The first time was well simply writing an e-mail.

It was a long e-mail and I was nearly at the end when the system crashed of course saving nothing.

-- when I say crash I mean it actually shot off and turn itself back on!

Since then just browsing the Internet locked up once -- the mouse would work and control all delete wouldn't help either I had to reset using the reset button.

Next I have an application called Dragon dictation (which I'm using now) that came up with an error saying that it ran into some problems and needs to close and it were sorry for the inconvenience.

Since these problems have happened in various applications, I can't see it being a software problem.

Also because everything else has been replaced, I don't know what else to point the finger to.

When the computer is at the shop, they claim there is nothing wrong with it and it apparently functions okay.

Today has been its worst day so far having so many crashes in such a short period of time.

The only things at home I have plugged into it that they haven't tested at the shop is a parallel cable.

Other than that everything else has been plugged into it at the shop the same as at home.

The printer that is attached to the parallel cable isn't even on at the moment and yet always crashes occur.

Can a parallel cable by itself cause such problems?

What else could it be?

I'm having to dictate this through Dragon dictation to make it faster because I'm afraid it will crash soon again.

-- also I might add that when they showed me the board the first time, they said that they keep them here to show other people what could possibly happen.

However after so many problems came, I started to question whether was the board in the first place and asked for it back. Then all of a sudden they change their story and said "we can't keep them forever"

I'm concerned that the problem might be something else altogether, and that the shop is just basically getting me to spend my money to change things, telling me that everything is unrelated to each other, and that they also haven't hit the nail on the head yet.

I'm no computer technician but it sounds to me like a short or a heating problem, but again I can't see how either could be, being as the main components are all new!?

Thanks for your help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i assume its windows XP
    maybe just a driver problem - is it a different motherboard to the original - if so it may need the motherboard drivers

leave the printer disconnected and see if it crashes

now

goto
    control panel>
    system>
    advanced tab>
    startup and recovery - settings>
    under the title - system failure
    untick - automatically restart

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320299

now when it crashes - it willnot restart and the blue screen should stay on the screen
    post the info on the screen
    it will give the errorcodes and a filename, if caused by a driver.

3. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    Okay I have un-checked the automatic restart and unplug the printer.

We'll see how that goes.

yes, its XP

Thanks

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    post back all the errors - stop code
    starts
    0x00
    also any file names on the screen

we wait to see if you now get a blue screen

- different make or model i mean

5. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    etaf

Is there any way I can get a report of the past five errors? -- would that be saved anywhere?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    control panel
    admin tools
    event viewer

may give some info - but i have found the blue screen often more useful

7. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    A problem has been detected in Windows will shut down to prevent damage to your computer...

If a driver is identified in the stop message error disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for a driver updates try changing video adapters check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates...

Disable BIOS options such as caching or shadowing if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F8 to select advanced options than select safe mode..

Stop 0x0000008e (0x0000005,0xBF8059C3, 0XB2FCEF44,0X00000000)

WIN 32K, SYS ADRESS BF8059C3 BASE AT BF 800000 DATE STAMP 43446A58

[make that 8 crashes so far today plus at least 5 freeze ups that required resetting] -- its about every 30 min or so!!

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    Apparently it was a new motherboard -- with a new processor (Pentium 4 at 3 GHz)

Is there a way through device manager that I could find out what kind of motherboard it is?

10. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    all I know is that its going back to the shop - yet again!

I think its easier for shops to just keep replacing things at out expense but no one want to tech support things cause its too time consuming.

thanks for your help - over and out for now.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well a few things -
    If its a new motherboard - then it would have needed new drivers - depending on the board
    for
    graphics - if intergrated
    sound - if intergrated
    LANs
    etc

do you know if they re-installed windows

also - the memory would need to be compatable too

worth asking those questions

also the memory may just need reseating

12. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    yes, they did reinstall windows

13. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Download the program "Everest Home." After it is installed and ran, it will give you oodles of information.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice