Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! My webcam wont work.

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Byteman 
#1 ·
When i first got the computer about 6 months ago my webcam was working perfectly. my webcam is built into my computer. Then i disconnected my computer because i had moved to a new location, now my webcam wont show up at all. I go to oovoo and it shows up green. I go on facebook and it says "Please turn your camera on or make sure that it is not in use by another application." i checked and my webcam is not beng used on anything else and its built into my computer. i need help to fix this. If anyone can help that would be great. I use this webcam to talk to my father when he is out on business trips.

This the specs.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8119 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230, 1536 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 942524 MB, Free - 888570 MB; D: Total - 11241 MB, Free - 1631 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, IONA, 1.0,
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

See less See more
#2 ·
The specs in your post are missing the most relevant info -- the make & model of your laptop!
You might simply need to re-install the webcam driver & application software, and all laptop drivers are supplied by the laptop manufacturer for each specific model.

#3 ·
My computer is an HP computer. On the tower it says HP Pavilion Elite HPE . Right on the bottom of the monitor it says AOC i think. then on the top right hand corner it says DCR1000000:1
the computer never came with any cds to install the webcam because it was already built into the monitor and it was already installed when i bought it. I had even reset my computer to the factory settings and it rebooted my computer and it still didnt work.

#4 ·
Best way to provide the system information

Use this link >> http://www.hp.com/#Support

Put a dot into "Support and Drivers" then a bit over on the right, click on "Start Detection" that will load if you click "OK" and when finished, it will show you the make and exact model information, which you should save and Post in a reply here.

#6 ·
Hi, Good...now, here is a page with several things to run through (troubleshooting) that only you can do...

Keep a record of what messages tell you so you can post them. See if any of the things here fix your issue.

A Peripheral Device (Printer, Camera, or Scanner) does not Work in Windows 7

Look way down the page to >>> Why doesn't my Webcam work in Windows 7?

Then the best help looks to be found here at the above page>>> Troubleshooting Webcams in Windows 7

Then, at that page here >>> Troubleshooting your webcam

#7 ·
this is my cameras name thing
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1255 (Model 22xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM)
when i go on oovoo the name shows up but when i look at the preview of the camera it shows green. i tried to fix the settings on oovoo to see if maybe i messed with the settings but i didnt they were all default settings.
i just tried it on windows live messenger and it showed up green also.
i did all the steps it said to do and it didnt work. my webcam doesnt have a usb to it so that eliminates some of those possible answers.

#8 ·
You seem to not be getting through this part>>>>>

The Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1255 (Model 22xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM)
is your TV Tuner device not the camera

Step 3: Select the webcam in your video viewing software list
Make sure USB 2.0 Camera or the HP Pavilion Webcam is selected as the video input source in the software you are trying to use.
The software programs that can use the webcam use different terms for describing a video source and the option to select it can vary. Check the Preferences or Properties pages for the software that uses the webcam to find the camera, webcam, or video settings.
NOTE: If you have trouble finding where you can change the video source setting, try using the software's built-in help system.

If your computer includes a TV tuner, the TV tuner might be set to the default video input device. If you are using Windows Live Messenger to have a video chat with your webcam, you must select the HP Pavilion Webcam as the active input device because the TV tuner is the active video input device by default. See the following examples:
Example 1: Select the webcam in Windows Live Messenger
To select the webcam as the default video input device in Windows Live Messenger:
1.Open Windows Live Messenger.
2.Click the arrow icon on the Windows Live Messenger toolbar.
3.Click Tools , and then click Audio and Video Setup .

#11 ·
Are you sure you are seeing and clicking the drop down arrow in the Messenger window..... as in the pictures here>

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01896811&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4120266

The TV Tuner may show there, but clicking on the drop down arrow may reveal the HP camera to m ake that the device to use....

If not, I would think the drivers for it need to be reinstalled.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-74898-2

What shows in Device Manager for Imaging Devices described here >>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com...e/thread/dc3c1539-220d-4c91-9d44-9d63b7490492

#13 ·
Have you been trying with muvee autoProducer 6 as it shows in the HP page?

Do you see the steps for using that program to see if you can start the camera video?

Is there a power button or switch that runs the camera?

There could be other programs that have the camera "in use" so you cannot find it. One by one, close whatever Messenger or other camera using program you have running, and try another, but you may have to restart....for example, if you are trying in Messenger, close that up, restart, and go through the steps using muvee

If that does not work, I don't think I can help any further. Thanks for being patient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.