1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help my word equation editor seems corrupt

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by msuser, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msuser

msuser Thread Starter

Hi,

New here. For some reason, whenever I try to use the equation editor in word, it works for the equation symbol box symbols, but when I try to add basic signs like = or -, it inserts blank boxes (reads documents the same way). BTW I click on the symbol editor symbols to insert the symbols, then use my keyboard for the basic signs like =.

[​IMG]

Oddly the * and / signs are ok. I tried to reinstall the app from the control panel and still have the same problem. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?? Thanks so much.

OS XP
    WORD 2003 SP3
    Microsoft equation 3.0

2. msuser

msuser Thread Starter

UPDATE.....

I found out that my working computer has a font called symbol installed, that the equation editor uses.
    My faulty version only has bookshelf symbol. I looked in the windows/fonts directory and it is not there either.
    Any help on how to get the symbol fonts? Even though I can't find a font explicitly called symbol, the insert symbol function
    does work properly. It is however, set to normal text.

I looked at the symbol font list on my other computer and it does not include = signs either, just some greek symbols.
    Still confused.

I used the repair reinstall office disk and the problem still exists!
    It works fine on my other computer.

I may have played with the font styles sometime before.:confused:
    Does anyone have a photo of what the default styles should look like?

I also have programs like mathematica and mathcad installed.
    There should be some way to compare correct font lists somewhere.
    This is really annoying as the blank boxes render the program useless.

One other point is that I was going to reinstall word (from office disk), but when you get to the
    menu option, it only gives you the choice to "uninstall non selected applications."

I don't want to uninstall the other apps, just replace word.
    Do they literally mean the only choice is override or uninstall other applications?
    Does anyone suggest just reinstalling the entire program office?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice