1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - need solution for rpc server is unavailable exception from hresult: 0x800706ba

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pconnors15, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pconnors15

pconnors15 Thread Starter

Hi,

Started my computer (and restarted a few times) and I keep getting a window that reads:

'rpc server is unavailable exception from hresult: 0x800706ba'

or

'rpc server is unavailable exception from hresult: 0x800706ba; refer to lela's log for details'

I am not very comupter savvy and am not sure how or if I can fix this...

Any guidance is greatly appreciated

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When windows loads, go to Control Panel, User Accounts and post details, of Users.
    Whilst there go to Security Centre - on the Firewall bar will be a double arrow mark on the right click that and post details of firewalls.
    Also in Control Panel will be Windows Firewall, clcik that and post setting.

3. pconnors15

There are no user accounts listed... strange, upon start up, my wife and I have accounts that we can log into windows with. They used to be there cause I have accessed them before...

I get a pop up window when looking at my firewal (either in control panel or via security center). The pop up window says 'windows forewall setting cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows firewall / internet connection sharing service?'

I clicked yes and got another window stating 'windows can not start the windows firewall / internet connection service.'

4. Macboatmaster

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts click on Create New Account. Post what appears please.

5. pconnors15

i went to control panel, user accounts and the window that pops up, titled, 'uer accounts, is litterally empty... no current accounts listed or option to create a new account....

6. Macboatmaster

Do you have the XP CD, do not worry I am not going to suggest a fresh install.

7. pconnors15

yes - I have in my hand the 'reinstalation cd; microsoft win xp pro'... unfortuately, it was way back whe SP1a was the latest... I think we are up to SP3... not sure if that will impact me

8. Macboatmaster

Put the CD in please, if it goes to autorun, just click on Exit.
    Click Start
    Click Run
    Type "sfc /scannow" - without colons of course
    NOTE space between sfc and /
    DO NOT INTERRUPT this process once started.

9. pconnors15

Ran that cmd thru the night. No error messages reported and cmd status bar dis appeared after completion. Re-started computer. Same issue.

10. Macboatmaster

Go back to Recovery Console and at the C:\ prompt type "chkdsk /p"
    Allow it to run do not interrupt it.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reopened per request.

12. pconnors15

I went to run via 'start' icon in bottom left of screen. I typed in, at the prompt (without quotes), c:\chkdsk /p. A window popped up saying it didn't recognize the 'chkdsk' command. So I did it again, this time with a space between the c: and the chkdsk command, as follows; c:\ chkdsk /p. At this point it opened a new window, Local Disk (c:) with all its contents... nothing seems to be 'running' as I'd assume a check disk command would... sorry for the lack of results, but any further guidance would be appreciated. THANK YOU!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice