1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help need to change a folder name in Documents and Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vvp, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vvp

vvp Thread Starter

Hi this is my first post here, thanks for helping!

The store where I bought my computer from used my full name when installing Win XP Pro.

I'm concerned about security, particularly when surfing, so I'd rather not have my full name being used in the Documents and Settings folder.

Can someone please tell me how to get my name out of the system please?

Thank you!

2. valis

valis Moderator

probably the easiest way would be to create a new folder, name it what you want, then copy the entire contents of the other folder over.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Your name from the Documents & Settings profile isn't visible when you surf, this is a non-issue.

4. vvp

vvp Thread Starter

Valis - I tried copying the folder(s) and windows isn't playing nice with that approach.

JohnWill - Are you sure?

The reason I question this is that I have a personal website that uses Statcounter. Frequently, when checking to see what kind of traffic I've had, I can see when surfers have saved a shortcut to their desktops back to my web site. ie: Desktop\John Doe\My Webpage. This is why I believe some of the personal info is leaking out.

Any ideas?

5. Sanguines

Sanguines

Make a new user account, transfer all your data to it, and delete the original :)

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

User name is visible to anyone that scans the machine, as is the machine name. In fact, you can usually obtain the names of all users registered on the machine via an external scan.

Safest way to block that is with a firewall. You can turn it off in Windows, but you are a fool to trust Windows security.

User name can be changed from the Computer Management applet in the Administrative Tools section of the control panel. Also, the user's profile location can be changed there.

Computer name can be changed from the "System" applet in the control panel.

7. vvp

vvp Thread Starter

This is the info I was seeking. Thank you.

For the record, I do have a hardware firewall in place. I agree with you that only the niave would rely soley on Windows for their firewall.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can rename the account but it will not change the name of the folder in Documents and Settings. Just create a new account and move everything to that account if you are so worried about it. I persononally wouldn't run my website from the My Documents area of my system. Not that it matters. That is the way most Unix based hosting does it.

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Full name in Documents and Settings is, as has been pointed out, a non-issue. However the full name there means that the full name was used for the user name, and that IS an issue. Changing the user name will remove visibility of the real name from the internet - that is, presuming that Documents and Settings isn't shared and the C drive isn't shared, and everything is password protected, and so on and so forth.

OP says he has a hardware firewall in place, so under most conceivable circumstances he'll be safe anyway. But he is right that some browser will report when they make a link to a website and will give up the name of the location to the link, and this could indeed leak his name.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can rename the user account to Darth Vador and leave the user profile folders as they are, all fixed. ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice