1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Need to free up disk space, but can't load Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sjurc74, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjurc74

sjurc74 Thread Starter

My computer won't boot into Windows 98se during start-up, so I've been trying to reinstall. Midway through installation I get a message saying I need to free up disk space. Is there a way to do this? Please let me know what other info you might need. Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Sounds as though you might be putting a fresh version alongside the old. In XP you can repair or replace a previous version but '98 didn't work like that. You wil probably have to use your '98 boot-up floppy to delete some files in DOS mode but I doubt you'll write them to CD like that.

Post back with the problem with the original installation. Someone can probably help and it wlil be better than losing files just to reinstall.

4. sjurc74

sjurc74 Thread Starter

Thanks Saga Lout. As far as the original problem, I actually did a search on this site to see if others had already posted the same problem. There were, in fact, quite a few posts with people having the same issue and/or getting the same error messages. I tried many of the solutions suggested, but none worked, which is why I just decided to try to just reinstall Windows instead.

Anyway, the error message I get is, "While intitializing device IOS: Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load. Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt, or the system is low on memory".

Also, I can't get into safe mode.

5. angel

angel

6. sjurc74

sjurc74 Thread Starter

I was finally able to reinstall Windows. Apparently, I was trying to reinstall without first uninstalling and then reinstalling. But now, I don't have any sound and Windows doesn't recognize my modem. Do I need to reinstall the drivers? If so, what's the best way to do that?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes you need to install drivers for all your hardware. Do you have any CD's that came with the computer? If not you will need to download tthe drivers from the manufacturer's website.

8. sjurc74

sjurc74 Thread Starter

Yes, I have a system restoration disk. I used that to try to install drivers, but was having major issues. For some reason, it didn't give me an option to install drivers.

Anyway, I ended up trying to reinstall Windows again (maybe I shouldn't have), but now, a quarter of the way through installation, my screen goes blank and ends up at a c: prompt. I tried reinstalling 3 times but keep getting the same screen. I don't know what else to do.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Once you get Windows working again, get back with me and I'll show you how to regain a lot of hard drive space.

Once you're able to, right-click the hard drive icon, then click Properties. Look at the pie chart and tell me how large the hard drive is, how much free space there is, and how much used space there is.

10. sjurc74

sjurc74 Thread Starter

Thanks Flavallee. The main problem I've actually been having is with reinstalling windows. I was finally able to the other day (by choosing the uninstall/reinstall option). I was having problems with installing some drivers though, so I tried reinstalling Windows again, but when I did that, about a quarter of the way through installation, the installation stopped and I ended up with a black screen and a command prompt. What do I do?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may just need to give in and format the drive and then reinstall WIndows. You would however lose everything you have on the drive.

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's what I'd do - format the hard drive again, then install Windows.

Apparently, when you tried to reinstall Windows, something got all messed up.

13. sjurc74

sjurc74 Thread Starter

What I really want to be able to do is somehow retrieve and/or transfer any files I have from the current pc I have and onto a new computer I plan on getting soon. The pc I'm having trouble with is one I was planning on getting rid of anyway. Considering the state my pc is in now, is there a way to still somehow get my files?

14. GordRocks

GordRocks

Can you take your hard drive out, install it in another PC as a slave drive and then transfer whatever files you want to keep to CD/DVD. Then when you get your HDD reformatted and working again you can get your files copied back to your HDD.

.....Gord

15. sjurc74

sjurc74 Thread Starter

Thanks Gord. I will definitely do that once I get a new computer. Is there a way to get my files now though, like in DOS mode or something? I'd like to be able to reinstall Windows without completely losing all my files so that I can at least have internet access until I get a new pc, which might be in another month or so. Or is that just totally impossible?

16. GordRocks

GordRocks

According to your initial post you're using Windows 98 so you should be able to go into DOS and copy the files you want to a floppy if they are small enough. As Saga Lout said, I doubt that you'll be able to copy them to a CD but then I've never tried. Let us know how it goes.

.....Gord

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice