1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! need to recover data from formatted disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tskochanski, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tskochanski

tskochanski Thread Starter

I have two identical drives a C and a D drive C was set up as primary and D as secondary. The C drive had winxp pro and my programs on it and the D drive was my storage drive for all my music and important files. I decided to reinstall winXP on my C drive and it kept giving me problems so I decided to install Linux Fedora on it instead. I am getting an external drive in a couple of days and figured I'd just reinstall winXP on the C drive and remove fedora when it got here then move my music and data from the D drive to the external. Then I would reformat both C and D drives and sell them. When looking in the case I mistook one for the other and reformatted my secondary D drive, then installed fedora Core onto it. During install I instructed it to remove all OS's and reformat everything. I had about 28 gigs of data and fedora core is only .5 gigs or so.

Now I have my D drive formatted with Fedora core and my C drive as it was with Win XP and my programs.

Can I set the C drive as primary again and plug in the D drive as secondary then from disk management change the D drive back to a windows format like NFTS or what ever and then run some program to get my data back?

Please Help all my stuff is on that disk.

Tim

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It would endanger any remaining data to try to change the file system yet again. Chances are you may have lost the data the first time.

Try scanning the drives with these programs. Look under the "Others" menu in Restoration and choose "Scan All Clusters". These are free and good and will give a good idea if anything remains of your files (if they allow access to an Ext2FS file system from Windows---I don't know).

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm

3. realphx

realphx

LOL.... this has happened to me before. I lost everything... sorry :cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/335458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice