1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help: need to reset bios, HP laptop dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a048420, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

when running bios update from HP on hp g70 laptop, the screen went white and hung. had to take battery out to get machine to turn off. since then machine wont boot. power light and wireless light turn on via ac and/or battery but it wont even present the boot screen.

have tried all the suggestions I could find (win key +B, disconnecting cmos battery, taking out hard drive, hard resets, plugging in external monitor, etc.) nothing has worked. My HP G70 laptop, which was running fine before installing the bios update, now wont even start up. am VERY disappointed that a process and software provided by the manufacturer (HP) cause the machine to completely stop operating and that there is no way to get it back into operation.

By the way, the reason for the bios update:
    I installed win 10 and it was up and running. A problem then surfaced when the computer lid was closed and the laptop went to sleep. it would not function once the lid was opened. had to take battery out and disconnect power to get it to start up again. going into sleep mode and awakening with keyboard/mouse worked fine until the lid was closed. the recommended solution was to update the BIOS which is what I did. The BIOS update started up and began running fine but then hung with a white screen.

I am hoping someone will have a suggestion on how I can get my laptop running again. I had hoped HP would stand behind their software, support and (what I thought) was a quality laptop, but they have said I was on my own and go find some local guru and hope they can fix it. I haven't found one yet.

Help!!!!!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number of that HP G70?
    There should be a dash and additional characters after G70 that comprises the complete model number.

What's the exact part/product number(P/N) on it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

it's an HP g70-467cl

4. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

p/n nw169ua#aba

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, right off I see that win 10 is NOT a supported os. The listed os are vista and win7. When you install an unsupported os, you are a beta tester; might work and it might not work.
    The failed bios update is another problem. If you have already tried the procedure in the link below, there really is not much hope for you.
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP G70-467CL Notebook PC (NW169UA#ABA) originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
    There is no free upgrade path from Windows Vista to Windows 10, so how exactly did you install it?

The most current BIOS update listed for Windows Vista and Windows 7 is version F.65 Revision A.
    It was released in January 2011, which is almost 4 years before Windows 10 was released.
    That BIOS update and the previous ones before that do not address any issue with the "sleep mode" power feature.

------------------------------------------------------------------

8. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. I tried the win key +B procedure multiple times. No Joy! I was sure hopeing it would come through. I hate to lose this laptop. Win 10 was working except for the freezing when the lid opened to come out of sleep. Hindsight: should have left it that way! Am still in hopes someone may have another option for getting the bios back. Thanks again.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  10. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

Yes, I did try but the process does not work as documented and I was unable to get the downloaded bios update to present as shown. It fails with weird technical messages about things not being on my machine and that the bios does not match or something. I appreciate your feed back and thank you for the suggestion but this is the kind of thing I've been running into ever since trying to fix this situation. lots of good intent but nada works.

11. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

I installed win 7 first. it went on fine. I then used the win 10 install tool to get to win 10. it went on fine also.
    the bios I downloaded was f.65 and I had no idea what it did or did not fix but it was a recommended solution so thought it was safe to proceed with it. thank you for the feedback.

12. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, it is one of the numerous things I've tried to do but found does not work. a) the downloaded bios does not have files in it named as shown in the documentation and b) trying to run it on another machine to get the files leads to messages that the bios is wrong and other misc. technical error messages of things being missing. In summary, it didn't work but I did try it a couple of times.
    Thanks again for the suggestion. I still hope to find a way to get this machine working. It WAS a good laptop with good power and features and should not be disabled and useless as a result of following HP suggestions and using their software!

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes you will get that running the downloaded Bios in a different computer but the files should be extracted so try this :-
    Run the downloaded file again (SP51485.exe ?) accept the license then on the next window select the lower option and it will extract the files to the folder shown. Copy all the files in that folder onto the Usb stick and try the Win+B and power switch method again.

14. a048420

a048420 Thread Starter

Thanks for hanging in there and for the feedback. It is appreciated. I did try all this again:
    formatted usb drive to fat32
    named usb drive HP_TOOLS
    downloaded sp51485.exe
    ran it and selected bottom option to capture files
    opened Swsetup folder it created
    moved sp51485 folder to usb drive
    plugged laptop in w/ac adapter (laptop immediately spins fan up)
    turned it off by holding power button down a few seconds
    inserted usb drive
    held win+b down while hitting power button
    saw hard drive indicator flash a time or 2 but then computer just sat there
    just in case, I then copied all the files in sp51485 folder directly onto the usb drive so they weren't in a folder
    reinserted the usb drive
    turned off laptop, held win + b and power button
    unsuccessful

Thanks for the thoughts though. I continue to search for an answer...

Im outlining all this in case I am doing something wrong and don't realize it.

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try again with just the 360BF65.FD file on the Usb stick but renamed to 360BF65.BIN

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1159156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice