1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed connecting to wifi

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tooler, Oct 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. tooler

tooler Thread Starter

have a Dell Inspiron 560 running Windows 7 Home. I was told I cannot hook up WIFI to it. I know little about pc's and would like to use this. Is there anything I can buy that will let me use this pc with the wifi in my house?
    thanks

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

You'll need to buy a wifi dongle. A dongle is PC lingo for usb adapter.

3. tooler

tooler Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I'll look into this. It's a good pc and I like using it, just the comcast tech told me it had no way of using the wifi in my house. Bought another pc.
    Should have found this site first. Thanks again.

4. zebart

zebart

According to Dell's specs this has built in WIFI. Check you device to see if you have this driver:

Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Some Comcast "techs" know what they are doing and others don't. I wouldn't bet on anything one "tech" told me. I'd need to hear it from a few people.

Example: Comcast came to the house and told me the line needed an amplifier on the line so he put one on and plugged it into an outlet in the basement. The next Comcast tech that came said, "you don't need that" and he removed it.
    All I can say is that we've had no issues with tv or the internet without the amplifier so I guess we didn't need it.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    tooler:

What is the exact 7-character "service tag" number on your Dell Inspiron 560 Desktop PC?

Did your internet service provider (Comcast) provide a modem/router for internet service, and does it have wireless capability?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  7. britekguy

britekguy

If you want to have a definitive inventory of the hardware on your system, run Piriform's Speccy utility. It appears that recently the portable version has been removed from their site, but you can also simply uninstall Speccy after you use it. If you do use Speccy please post the URL to your system's snapshot in your next response.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report Them to an Assistant

1. Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2. Run the installer you’ve just downloaded or unzip the ZIP file if you prefer to use the portable version.

a. If you choose to run the installer - Note: The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time). Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence. When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.

b. If you go with the portable version just fire up Speccy from the unzipped folder location.

Regardless of which method you choose, you will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

[​IMG]

3. From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

[​IMG]

4. You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

[​IMG]

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5. Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

[​IMG]

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note: If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3. This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.

8. tooler

tooler Thread Starter

GX56PM1 Service tag

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 560 Desktop PC.
    It was purchased new in September 2010 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

According to its system configuration section, it came with these specs:
    Intel Pentium E5700 3.00 GHz dual core processor
    4 GB DDR3-1066 RAM
    500 GB SATA hard drive
    DVD+/-RW disc drive
    Intel Q43/Q45/G43/G45 graphics
    Realtek ALC887 high definition audio
    Realtek RTL8111DL ethernet

The support site lists an Atheros (Dell) Wireless 1525 device, but it's unknown if your desktop came with it.
    Go into the Device Manager and expand the Network Adapters heading, then advise us the exact name of the devices listed there.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. tooler

tooler Thread Starter

I went into the Device Manager but couldn't find Network Adapters. I'm not very computer savvy, I never owned a pc until I was 60.
    I have another computer that has wifi, I just didn't want this one to be trashed. It has been a very good computer. Will the wifi dongle
    some one mentioned work? If so, I'll buy one. I seen one at Walmart for less then $10. Thanks for your help.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

You're saying the Device Manager in your desktop does not have a Network adapters heading?

If that's correct, does it have an Unknown devices or an Other devices heading?

--------------------------------------------------------------

12. tooler

tooler Thread Starter

My Device Manager comes up on the screen just as the one you show. It should list an inventory of every part inside or attached to this computer.
    It shows nothing. I must be missing something. I have an old HP computer and I went to the device manager and everything on that computer
    came up. Very strange. Thanks for your help.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Just chiming in: If your computer did have wireless, it should look like this:

[​IMG]

Since it was not listed, my guess it did not have it installed. A USB dongle would be a good choice as you can use it on any computer, but PCI cards like this one tend to be more better for connectivity/speed.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice