Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Needed: CPU installation

Solved 
356 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Looker1010 
#1 ·
I have the following CPU for the rig I'm assembling: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700x/p/N82E16819113499
(AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 ghz Socket AM4 105W)

Installation instructions for my motherboard show how to install any of three different model heatsinks. I brought the heatsink that came packed with my CPU over to the light to examine it -- it's model #3.

As I was examining it, I felt my thumb touch the bottom of the heatsink, and found I had smudged one edge of a square of white pasty compound. I'm guessing this is thermal material?

I had bought a tube of Arctic Silver 5 compound (website arcticsilver.com). Instructions for that compound say that in order to use it, any existing thermal compound on the heatsink must be cleaned off. I ran like the dickens to the local pharmacy to get isopropyl alcohol and some coffee filters (specifically listed in the instructions, as what to use to clean the compound off.

My question, the help I'm seeking is: What is the best course of action? I'm most concerned about the smudged edge on one side of the white pasty square.

Is it better to clean it off, as per the instructions on the Arctic Silver website, and apply the Arctic Silver compound, or is it better to forego the Arctic Silver and just apply the heatsink, trusting the white pasty square to act as thermal compound?

I've halted assembly on my rig pending any advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't delete the post so I'm going to mark it solved. Another tech site (Sorry folks, I'm a bit impatient, haha) recommended cleaning the pre-applied paste off and going with Arctic Silver, which I have. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a few coffee filters and the gunk came off. This was a half hour or so, and in another half hour I'll apply the Arctic Silver and be on my way.

#4 ·
I hope you put it on the CPU instead of the Heat sink. A lot come reapplied on the heat sink but it is best to do the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.