1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed extremely bad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dballs52, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dballs52

dballs52 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba satellite A65-S1066. It has run pretty well for the last 3 years with limited problems with it. Just recently it started to have problems when it aquired a virus. For the first few days it would still startup and run all programs on it. As of about 20 minutes ago it will not start up. It will turn on, let me enter mypassword. The windows startup screen comes on and runs, then after that it goes to a blank screen and does nothing at all. It will not start in safe mode or any other mode. It seems like it wants to work and then just stops. Does any one know how i can trouble shoot it so it will at least let me run my rewrite disc?

2. tech.jk

tech.jk

ummmmm...have you tried safe mode? you might still be able to run your programs, except you will have to manually run everything else

3. arknorth

arknorth

No - they said they tried Safe Mode and it did not work.

Are you sure its a virus and not just a bad hard drive? When they go, they can mimic exactly what you described.

A-N

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It sounds like some of the Windows system files may have gotten corrupted (either due to the recent virus or possible bad sectors on the HDD).

1. Hope you cleaned up the virus and backed up your important data.
    2. Do you have a Restore CD that came with the laptop? See if it will allow you to do a Windows repair.
    3. Go into the BIOS and see what brand/model HDD you have. Then go to the manufacturer's website and get their diagnostic software. Most offer a DOS version that you can run from CD at bootup, so no Windows required.
    4. If the HDD checks out ok and the Windows repair did not help, then you may need to do a full Restore on the laptop.

5. dballs52

dballs52 Thread Starter

I actually took care of the problem. I did a system restore with the disc and it cleaned it right up. Thanks for the suggestions

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice