1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help needed fast

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by windowsxpuser, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. windowsxpuser

windowsxpuser Thread Starter

HI
    can anybody give me advice on fixing usb ports as there is a faulty usb port in my laptop.Every now and again i get knocked off the internet,i have tried scanning for viruses but it is not that.Is there anyway i can buy software to put into my computer to resolve this as the computer shop charges £35.00 per hour to repair my laptop.Or does anybody know any groups or organizations which will look at my laptop for free in the Aberdeen area.
    thanks
    steven main

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Please give more details:

Why do you "think that there is a faulty USB port"?

What is the laptop make and model?

I assume you are aware that a USB port is a hardware item, if there really is a hardware fault, "buying software" would not fix such a fault.

Giving a complete description, explanation and history will help a lot here. It may be simpler than you think.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

$35.00 per/hour boy is that cheap, and a good deal if they know what they are doing.

I would try another USB port on the laptop to see if it is a problem with the mechanical connection in the USB port.

Also check in Device Manager and see if there are any open spots in there - shows a minus sign instead of a plus?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That was £35 GB pounds not dollars. It is about $63 US dollars.

As kiwiguy says.....

Aberdeen is a little too far for me to drive :) otherwise I would volunteer.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The original poster has responded by PM as below ...
    (Please respond by posting a reply in your thread, responding by Personal Mail is not the way to get a fix, by the way....)

Hi
    the make of the laptop is a compaq notebook 100 and i get cut off now and again it may have been the weather but i don't know as it only happens every so often and i have contacted AOL and they said there was no problem with the local exchange.It has been happening for about a half a week but does not seem to be cutting me off today it is just at certain times.I am using a bt vogar 105 dsl modem which connects to the usb port and i have tried a printer in the usb ports and it works 100% perfect.So i dont know what the problem can be.Is there any way i can do a test to see if the if the usb cables are faulty mabey an eletrical test ?
    thanks

I cannot fathom why you are blaming the USB port though, when even your own tests with another device show it's OK.

More likely to do with the line conditions (ask for a line test from your phone company perhaps) than the USB port.

If the USB cable was faulty, then its more likely it would remain a fault and not reconnect.

Have no idea what a "vogar 105" DSL modem is, perhaps you mean Voyager 105?
    If the modem has status lights, check to see if the DSL signal light is indicating loss of signal (read the manual to determine the meaning of any lights, I am unfamiliar with the modem). If signal is being lost according to any status lights, then talk to the phone company and/or your ISP, as its then nothing to do with your PC.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice