1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Needed for Emachines T1440 Recovery CDs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vickibibi, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vickibibi

vickibibi Thread Starter

I want to format my emachines T1440 with the recovery CDs that come with the system. However, when I insert the CD into the CD Rom and restart the computer, the recovery process doesn't start and it goes straight to Windows User Log In. Does anyone know what the problem is and how I could still use the recovery CDs to format the computer? Thanks for your time and reply!

2. justfoo

justfoo

Hi, maybe you need to go into your bios and set your cd to be the first boot device.
    On my pc the way to get into the bios is to start your machine and keep hitting the F2 key as soon as you press start, if that doesn't work try F12 and or the other F keys at the top of the keyboard, good luck.

3. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

The emachines i repaired today still had to use the "delete" button to get to the BIOS. The all had "floppy" first and the "hard drive" second and the "CD rom" drive last.

Also check your recovery cd's to make sure they are not damaged.

4. vickibibi

vickibibi Thread Starter

I checked the recovery CDs, they were not damaged. I tried to press "delete" key when the emachines logo shown up and select to boot from CD-ROM, but nothing happened. The system still went straight to Window XP. I also tried to get into the BIOS, but a window poped up and requested to input a password. Is the BIOS password protected?

5. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

Yours must be password protected. Unless you know the password, the only way I know how to how to get by it is to take the CMOS battery out for a short time. That will reset the BIOS to factory defaults. You should know a little about setting the bios settings before you do that. If you pull the battery then you can set it to boot to the cd rom drive.

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If the machine has a floppy drive, download oldbios.exe , from the bottom of the downloads page, to another computer's hard-drive, and make an OLDBIOS redirector boot floppy.

http://ebcd.pcministry.com

Put a clean formatted floppy in the A: drive and double-click on the downloaded oldbios.exe file. This will make the boot floppy for you.

When you get back to your own machine, put the floppy in the A: drive, start the machine, and put your CD in the CD-ROM drive as the computer starts up.

If it does not direct you to the CD the first time, you might have to try again.

The OLDBIOS floppy works in most machines with a floppy drive and simply redirects the boot process from the floppy, which is first in the boot process, to the CD-ROM drive allowing the CD to run.

This way you don't have to enter the BIOS to change anything.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice