Help needed for W98SE DOS Commands

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gary R

Been quite a while since I used DOS, and I forgot how you get into folders and subfolders
:
What I am trying to do is get from the C: prompt to a subfolder of a program, so I can print a list of jpegs in that folder using the LPrint command ( Lprint dir > prn) since you cant do it in Windows Explorer.
I tried cut & pasting to Word2000, Wordpad, & Notepad with no luck -- instead of the list of pictures, they try to print them out as part of a page, & I have to exit the Provcessor.
The folder I'm trying to get to has a path of
C:/Program Files/I_View/misc/jpegs
:
Question 2 ... What version of MS-DOS is in W98SE (Ver. 4.10.2222A)

From a DOS prompt:
1. type "cd\progra~1\I_view\misc" and ENTER (no quotes)
2. type "dir *.jpg > prn" and ENTER (again, no quotes)

Gary R

managed to finally get into the folder, but more problems have shown up....
I erred in saying I wanted to print list of .jpegs in folder ... thought all were .jpeg, but upon looking in the folder found several psf., bmp, & gif files.
As I said, I got to the folder, BUT I haven't been able to get my printer (Epson 880 Inkjet; using USB instead of parallel) to print it out :(
All I can get is "Write fault Error writing device PRN (Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail)"
I've tried dir > lprnt, dir > lprn, dir>lprnt, dir>lprn, & what u suggested with no luck :(

You could always direct it to a text file instead of the printer and then print that file.

Once you get to the directory you want, then if you want a list of all files in the directory, just type dir without any file extensions. Then you can do as the last message suggested and send the directory to a text file. Type dir > list.txt for example, then open the file in any text editor and print it from there. You could even edit the file to print only the files you're interested in.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with USB (still stuck in the stone-age), but you might try to direct the output to lpt1 rather than prn.

If I may make a comment or two... :)

Using the "dir > list.txt" command will probably be
your best approach. Then from Windows, open
the list in a text editor, and you can print it from
there. Some printer drivers don't work so good
from a DOS box...

Also...

You should be able to use this from anywhere in DOS:

dir "C:/Program Files/I_View/misc/jpegs/*.*" > c:\list.txt

USE THE QUOTES FOR THE LONG FILE/DIR NAMES!

and it will make a file on the root C: drive which
is easier to find...

Cheers, Mac

Gary R

Ok, thanks for the info on printing a directory for a file. Will print it out & see what happens :)
:
Had something odd happen just before posting of the original query. I kept getting notices that it couldn't find the folder as I noted earlier, BUT when I was looking in the jpegs folder for a picture a while later I found a .txt file with a PARTIAL list of the the pictures in jpegs folder (about 30 out of 89 pictures were listed).
Have no idea how it got there or even what I did to get the partial list, & haven't been able to do it since.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online