1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Needed On Downgrading From XP to W98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jeffbehr, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeffbehr

jeffbehr Thread Starter

I've recently puchased a new laptop and want to downgrade my old desktop from XP to Win98se. I upgraded it a few years ago and now want to go back to 98 for some games that run best on 98. I do have the original 3.5 floppy and CD with product key. I have tried to fdisk from dos but that doesn't seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jeff

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It shouldn't be necessary to downgrade from XP to 98SE to run games that are more capable with 98SE.

Right-click the shortcut icon for the game, then click Properties - Compatibility(tab). You can then set it for the version mode that you want to run the game in.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Downgrading from XP to 98SE is more difficult and time-consuming than upgrading from 98SE to XP.

You're going to need a fully-bootable startup floppy disk that contains the FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM and generic CDROM driver files, and you're going to need a full version 98SE CD - unless you also have a 95 CD.

Finding and installing hardware drivers is going to be more difficult, and finding peripherals that work with 98SE is going to be more difficult.

Personally, I think you're giving up a lot of good use of that desktop by downgrading to 98SE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

[​IMG] and welcome to the Forum

Boot from the XP install disc and delete the NTFS partition . . then turn the pc off and boot fromthe win 98 cd and create a FAT partition to install on

Opps . . Evandil beat me to it and he has some good points

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're likely to have serious problems finding Windows 98 drivers for new hardware. Some manufacturers aren't even supporting Windows 2000 or XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice