1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed por' favor (printer error in Win2k)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Aches, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aches

Aches Thread Starter

Hi and thank you for your help. Problem is my pc crashed I'm waiting for one to be shipped to me in the mean time my sister let me borrow hers but she said the printer wasn't working, well when I hooked up her pc at my house it was working fine till yesterday when I go to hit the print button I get this out of resources message: Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup, try one or more of the following:
    *check printer by printing test page
    *make sure printer is on or online
    *reinstall printer driver

So then I decide to reinstall the printer driver and when I go to do that I get another message:

Out of resources era message:
    printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources . The print subsystem is unvailable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

Jen

2. Supernoobs

Supernoobs

your best bet would be to uninstall the driver before installing it, make sure there's nothing left of it on the harddisk, and then try installing it again. Also, close all the programs that you aren't using at the moment, so it has all the resources it needs.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Since the error message and the fix may be specific to Win2k, I guess this is the right forum for it.

But just a tip on posting questions, Jen -- It's always best to include something specific in the topic title, rather than just "help". I've edited yours so that those with similar systems and errors may notice.

If this is not Win2k, please let us know, and we'll change the title.

For now, read carefully this MS article and ask any questions regarding parts you don't understand.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q312052

4. Aches

Aches Thread Starter

the printer I have is an Epson Stylus 670

ok, so I'm going to uninstall the Epson Stylus 670 and all of it's components and then reinstall it, is that right ? And I don't need a cd because I can choose from the list to reinstall the stylus 670, right? And this is what they mean by reinstalling the printer driver?? I'm sure I sound silly but I just want to make sure I got this right!!

Jen

5. Aches

Aches Thread Starter

Hey Rollin Rog I didn't see your forum intill after I posted the last one. I actually went to that site before I posted here and couldn't find anything!! Wow thank you those are the exact era message's I'm having. Both you and Supernoobs gave me excellent advice I am so thankful for this site and people like you. I do have another silly question.. one of the steps on the microsoft support link you just gave me is to start registry editor (regedit.exe) that is how it was said.... uhh ummm how do I do that????

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just click Start>Run and enter regedit

Be sure you understand their instructions clearly. One of the things they suggest is that you "Export" (which basically means 'save') the two host keys. To do that, when you have the individual key selected (highlighted), click Registry (or File, I'm not sure which in 2k) on the Registry Editor, and then "Export". You will have to give each key a name, then save it to a convenient temporary location, such as the desktop. You will see them saved there as .reg files with a green registry icon. Should you make a serious mistake and need to restore one of those keys, just double click it to merge it back to the registry.

Then, to delete the items indicated under the key, you can just right click on each and select "delete". Be sure you have selected exactly what is indicated. Don't delete the host keys you originally exported.

7. Aches

Aches Thread Starter

Hey Rollin Rog how are you doin' today, I'm about to follow instructons on the microsoft support site you gave me to fix the printer problem, now when I'm done I'm to reinstall the necessary printers. I don't need a CD for this do I? I will still be able to go into printers in the control panel and pick from the list and install that way?? I would have done this the other day but I was a little worried about the warnings the support site gives you about being in the registry and not really knowing what your doing but I had so many problems with my last pc with up-grading and fixing problems I had to do by myself with instructions of coarse through the help menu on win2k or support sites that I figured as long as I follow step by step I should be o.k. Thanks again for everything, means alot to me.

Sincerely,
    Jen

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Jen I'm sorry I didn't see your follow-up question for this yesterday.

Yes, you definitely will need the CD that came with the printer to reinstall the drivers -- unless you download the drivers from the Vendor's support site as a substitute. In that case after removing things you would run the setup program downloaded.

Now for your registry question in the PM

These are the two keys that you should export first, under item 5 in the article. You should have both, be sure to follow the file tree carefully.

5 -- Export the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print

>>> To get to that point in the File Tree on the left, you click each plus sign to expand the tree, like so:

+ Hkey_Local_Machine
    + System
    + CurrentControlSet
    + Control
    Print

In the second instance you will be going through the ControlSet001 path.

>> in each case make sure the Print folder is selected (highlighted) in the left hand pane before exporting. Give each one a different name, such as Print1 and Print2

>> then in the following item (6) you will be looking to highlight the last folder in each file path, for example in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2

It is the subfolders in the left hand pane under Version-2 that you want to delete. Now in my XP system I have Version-3 listed as the folder. Under this folder is a folder for my Epson Printer. I would delete that because obviously it contains data for my installed printer.

Under the Monitors sub folder, I see my Epson listed. That is something I would also delete

>> Repeat the same procedure for the same items within the ControlSet001 key

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice