1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed setting up CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by byanoseau, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I have a 486 DX2/66 motherboard, brand unknown and no identifying numbers that I can see, that doesn't recognize the CD-ROM. There is no provision in the CMOS settings for a CD-ROM. The only boot sequence is A, C, and C, A. It doesn't seem to have any recognition of a CD-ROM in the CMOS.

Is there any way I can set this computer up to recognize the CD-ROM? Thanks.

Regards,

John

2. raz

raz

could be a simple solution - check the cd-rom cable is it plugged FIRMLY into mboard? check it is in the right slot as primary cd-rom if separate mboard connection or set it up as a slave to the hdd

Sorry ...I'm trying to do this from the top of my head ...it been a while since i have worked with a 486

BOL
    RAZ

3. Rockn

Rockn

You are more than likely going to need to install the DOS based drivers for this drive so your OS can utilize it. It may also be that the IDE controller is too old to support your newer drive.

4. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

G'day Raz & Rockn,

Thanks for the help. Everything's plugged in OK. It just surprises me a bit that this board doesn't recognize the CD-ROM. I'll have a look at the DOS driver angle and see if I can get anywhere with that. Thanks again.

John

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While the board doesn't boot from the CD, I'll bet it will be recognized in Windows just fine. You don't want to be using the DOS drivers for the CD when running Windows, since functions like long name support don't work!

6. raz

raz

just a thought.......try looking in the bios setup and see if it could be disabled

cheers
    Raz

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice