1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed to check & replace Drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keith66, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keith66

keith66 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Toshiba Netbook NB100 12A Model PLL10E - 013030EN.
    I got a Microsoft error message to say that the PC had recovered from a serious error and that I should
    Do an anti virus check which I have and it is OK
    Check the hard disc which I have and it is OK
    Check and install up to date divers but I don't know how to do this - Can anyone help.please.
    The TSG Sysinfo is below
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1013 Mb
    Graphics Card: Live Mesh Remote Desktop Mirror Driver, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114472 MB, Free - 13343 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are just asking for trouble messing with drivers. If there are any problems with them, they will be marked in Device Manager.

How many times has this happened? Did you get a blue screen with an error on it?

Have you checked the drive for errors?

3. keith66

keith66 Thread Starter

Hi,:)
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    It happened on 3 consecutive days last week and I did get a blue screen on a couple of occasions.
    On Thursday I did the standard check disc/fix on the PC and I haven't had any error messages yesterday or today.Fingers crossed )
    I haven't carried out any other checks ( like check the drive for errors which you mention ) as I am not very experienced with computers and would't know whay else to check.
    I have looked at Device Manager since your post but cannot see anything untoward about drivers - I have the PC set to automatic updates.
    Can you advise me what other checks I should carry out please.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. There's a couple things you should do.

First, go to Start > Run, and type:

sysdm.cpl

Under the Advanced tab, Startup & Recovery, click the Settings button. In the dropdown box at the bottom, choose "Kernel Memory Dump". Make sure the box that says "Automatically Restart" in unchecked. Then close out.

Now, when your machine has a problem, it will create a blue screen with an error number at the bottom and it may mention a file name. Record that information if you get a blue screen. (The stuff at the top of the blue screen is all generic and on all of them, so don't pay any attention to it.)

Next, go back to the Run box and type:

chkdsk /f

A box will pop up telling you that it can't fix anything while Windows is running. Answer "Y" to whether it should schedule check. The drive will then be checked and repaired on the next boot.

If you get a blue screen, come back and tell us what it said (minus the generic stuff - just the error information). If possible, also gather the memory dump files from C:\Windows\minidump folder, zip them up, and attach them to your post so we can analyze them for you.

But, I hope you already have the problem solved and don't get any blue screens. [​IMG]

5. keith66

keith66 Thread Starter

Hi, :)
    I have carried out both steps which you have recommended to me.
    Thank you so much for your very prompt attention (y) and for the very clear manner in which you have explained things to me as I am from a non technical background.
    I appreciate your advice about not messing about with drivers as when I googled updating drivers I was directed to all sorts of sites offering to scan and update my drivers and I could see it might be a "minefield" for me - hence my posting to the Forum as to what to do.
    I will get back to you if I get any more errors.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, they will try to sell anything that people will buy. :D

Avoid anything that purports to fix your computer with some sort of shotgun approach, we-can-fix-all-your-problems-at-once tools. Computers may need surgeons, but rarely butchers.

I hope I never see you again, and I mean that in the nicest way. Of course, you could stick around and help others. There is always someone that needs help from someone else here. And we all have skills to share no matter the level.

Good luck. We'll just leave this thread open for now and hope. [​IMG]

7. keith66

keith66 Thread Starter

Thanks again for all your help :)
    I will stick around and try to help if I can.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!