1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed to reset HD Drive Partitions in DOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Don7492, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Don7492

Don7492 Thread Starter

Hello.

I'll try to keep this simple. Have a Compaq running XP Home. Automatically updated MS when I shut down. Would not load after updates were completed. Being a complete moron, I figured I'd just save all of my info and use the Re-Install CD's from Compaq. I attached the drive to my Sony Vaio (XP Media) via USB to gather my files off this drive. Once connected, it automatically gave the problem Compaq drive the letter O: as the identifier. Now, when I try to reinstall back on the Compaq, it errors out. I then formatted the Hard Drive (via Sony Vaio) and tried to access it again. Have the drive back in the Compaq and trying to "fdisk" in the hopes of re-identifing the drive as C:. Well, I'm getting the error:
    CDR101: Not ready reading drive N
    (Think drive "N" is the area that Compaq places the Restore Information)

Ok. Guess what I'm asking is......

How do I get DOS or whatever the Compaq is referring to to ignore drive "N" or "O" for that matter, so I can get the system back up and running with the Restore CD's? It appears to me when I run the Restore, and try to start Windows, it is looking for information on either C: or O: and cannot continue to load.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!!! (off to take some asprin)

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Try booting with a DOS disk and run FDISK /MBR

3. Don7492

Don7492 Thread Starter

Unfortunatly, I don't have a Boot Disk. Used Norton System Works 06 CD to get to the C: Prompt. When at C:, I tried the fdisk /mbr and it gave the same error (CDR101 :Not ready reading drive N). Unfortunatly, my Vaio has no Floppy Drive to create a Boot Floppy.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice