1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed with activation email

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cj1953, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cj1953

cj1953 Thread Starter

I have just set up a new Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 installed, When I was putting the Microsoft email in I missed a letter out so each time I open the system it is showing me the wrong email and I have been unable to retrieve my activation email. Is there any way I can change this email, Thank you! Also how do you refresh a page, it is F5 on my vista and windows 7 but if I press F5 on the Windows 8 system it disengages my mouse! I would really appreciate some help, Thank you!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to create a new account on the laptop with the correct email address or even use a local account. You can either use this method: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/microsoft-account#1TC=t1 Or go to the Control Panel then to User Accounts, and create a new administrator account, you should be able to delete the incorrect account after logging into the new account.

As for the F5 key, is this a laptop? If so the laptop manufacturer has likely assigned F5 to disable the touchpad. You would need to Press FN and F5 to refresh or switch the key functions in the BIOS to the legacy mode where the numbered F keys are the default and using the FN key + a F key does a special function.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you really join four years ago and this is your first post? :)

Don't know if I can help, 'cause I don't really understand what you are experiencing. Into where did you put the wrong email address? What "activation email" are you expecting to receive?

What kind of a page are you trying to refresh? In a browser?

4. cj1953

cj1953 Thread Starter

:) Yes, it does looks like I joined 4 years ago and this is my first post :) so I can't be that bad :) I think that was when I was having a problem I with my Vista freezing and was told to remove the battery which I did and I have never had a problem with this system since :) I made a mistake with the email when I was filling the info in for the Microsoft account, sorry not activation it has been activated, so each time I tried to do something it was telling me I had not activated my Microsoft account which I couldn't obviously as I couldn't access the wrong email address. I have managed to sort it all now thank you so all I have to do now is learn how to use the Windows 8? Not looking forward to this but I will persevere until I get it right. I much prefer my Vista and Windows 7 but we have to move on and I wanted a larger harddrive and Ram which I got and am happy with them . When I asked about the F5 button it was to refresh web pages I was on and each time I did it froze my mouse. I fathomed out in the end what I had done so I will keep away from the F5 button now, But would like to learn how to refresh a page I am on. Thanks for all your help it was appreciated very much :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most browsers have a "refresh" or "reload" button. Tell us which browser you are using and somebody can probably help. For Firefox see attachment.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!