1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help needed with floppy driver!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pandorasbox27, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandorasbox27

pandorasbox27 Thread Starter

ok, here's the deal. i have stored information on a 3.5 disk. i have retrieved the information successfully before. i have checked to make sure the lock isn't on. but still i get the following message:
    A:\messenger service received files\forbiddendelight is not accessible. the system cannot read from the specified device.
    now i can read other files and i used this one today. i really am at a loss here. i hope you can help. thanks in advance!

2. TheGrimLife

TheGrimLife

How many times are you accessing this file in one sitting?
    When you constantly access a floppy file, you get what's called a cyclic redundancy check. It's kinda like the floppy's telling you "leave me the hell alone already!" why it does that, i don't know.

I've spent the past three years trying my best to avoid floppy diskettes, tape decks,vcr's and other obselete analog devices.
    Sorry, I got trapped in this semi-great digifad.

I KNOW, I KNOW EVERYONE! THERE AAARE STILL SOME GOOD ANALOG DEVICES!

3. plejon

plejon

Some comments :
    1) The lock on the floppy shouldn't interfere with the reading of a file. The lock is a write protection mechanism, just like it exists on video tapes. When the floppy is "locked", you can no longer write to it, but you can still read all the files on the floppy.

2) The CRC Cyclic Redundancy Check has nothing to do with reading a floppy too many times. CRC is a checksum to ensure ensure file integrety. When a file becomes corrupt, the checksum will no longer be correct and a CRC error will be displayed

3) It is possible that you have a problem because two programs or processes are trying to access the file at the same time. Some programs "lock" a file, so no other programs can use it at the same time. This sort of problem should be solved by rebooting your machine.

4) Don't store important stuff on floppies. They tend to fail a lot more than harddrives. If you do need an important file on a floppy, make sure you have a second floppy with a copy of the file

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice