1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed with laptop

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by den95deb, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. den95deb

den95deb Thread Starter

Hi I have an old Acer Travelmate 521 and the CMOS battery needed replacing, so I didn't know exactly were it was so I took off the screen and found it under the finger pad. The problem is now when I restarted the PC the picture is to big for the screen. I have tried to make it smaller with no success, when a box comes up it's not centre but off to the right and down, can't see the lower tool bar at all.
    Cheers
    Dennis

2. Hughv

Hughv

It sounds as though you've lost your video driver or changed its settings.
    You may find a setting in your BIOS ("Enable onboard video", or "Change video memory allocation").

3. den95deb

den95deb Thread Starter

I have since found another person with the laptop asking about the same thing after changing the bios battery hhere is his question

I have a acer travelmate 520 and it's driving me nuts.
    Up until the last time I used it some months ago, It has been
    bombproof. I turned it on and got a message that the motherboard
    battery was flat. No probs, i'll find out where it is and fit a new one.
    Did that, works again.
    Only thing is that everything on the screen is oversize now.
    When you turn it on you get the acer boot screen but the red bag that used to be right in the middle of the screen is much larger and is offset to the right and down.
    When the machine finishes loading up, You can't see the start menu or systray or any icons that might be down near the bottom or on the far right unless you go fishing with the mouse off the side or bottom of the screen.
    If I plug another monitor in, the picture displays perfectly on that one.
    but that sorta defeats having a "portable computer"
    I have tried reinstalling the original o/s (win98se),
    re flashing back to the original bios (acer provide an update for xp),
    reinstalling video driver (ati rage mobility m-1) both generic and acer specific.
    I know it's old, but like I said- it has been rock steady...up until now

there was no answer posted

It's an old laptop I have been into my bios but nothing about video card

not sure about the bios
    in the section onboard devices configuration
    the IrDA is diabled but don't know what that is?

Cheers

4. Hughv

Hughv

"Irda" is probably infrared, and shouldn't be involved.
    Look through the BIOS settings carefully. You have reset it to defaults when you removed the battery, so some setting related to video needs to be adjusted

5. Morny

Morny

Have you tried just right-clicking on your desktop, Choose Properties; the Settings Tab. Look at your settings?

6. den95deb

den95deb Thread Starter

Thanks for your help but have tried all of the above still nogood
    I have sent another request to ACER as I have found this problem occurs with all
    Acer Travelmates series 520, I quessing it's some factory setting which I can't change
    I nned to find someone who has had the same problem and hoping foe a fix

cheers

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

You know ages ago my old laptop (Toshiba Satalite) had the same problem, im assuming the splash is rediculously oversized? If so, try going into the BIOS configuration and selecting the load setup defaults option (this is under the area that contains exit options. All you do is select load setup defaults and then select to exit and save settings. When it reboots, you may want to go in and reconfigure things like the clock (if it is off, be warned, its in military format), and boot order (this is typically what is changed under my own system). Let us know your results.

8. den95deb

den95deb Thread Starter

Thanks but tried that still nogood

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice