1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed with router configuration for home server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by liom, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liom

liom Thread Starter

I'm trying to run a server for a java application called mekwars. The program needs ports 2347 and 4867 open.

I have obtained an ip address from my ISP and registered with dyndns. I can ping my public ip address (my router)

I can access my server from any other computer in the LAN. My router is a Zyxel p660hn-T1a. I have configured port forwarding of both ports to my server.

I have disabled the firewall in the router and restarted it.

My server is running CentOS 6. I have opened the ports in the server iptables, I don't think this is the issue as I can connect from my lan to the server.

When I try to connect (from within my lan) to the public ip address of my server the program tells me it cannot find the server. I can't telnet to port 2347 and nmap tells me that the only ports that are open are 22, 23 and 80 ( I believe this are open by default on the router to allow remote management).

I can telnet from the lan. My networking isn't great and I'm used to having an "ip passthrough" option on the router to assign to my server. I do have it set as the default router in port-forwarding so I had hoped this would be a similiar option.

I've a funny feeling I'll have to telnet to the router to take care of some hidden options but I'm posting here first hoping some network guru will be able to say "Ah I ran into this problem back in 19dickity6... " :p

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong? Do I have to set a static route in addition to port forwarding or could I have port forwarding configured incorrectly? I'm also considering the router may be at fault and I've emailed my ISP to make sure they're not filtering the ports before they reach my router.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You mean the public (WAN) IP address of the router, right? Some routers will "loop back" the way you want it to and others will not.

3. liom

liom Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, it turns out there was a setting within the application that I had to set to the lan IP address. Everything is working great now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice