1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help needed with two san arrays

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lorenzo620, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorenzo620

lorenzo620 Thread Starter

hi ,

i just got myself two EMC2 Clariion Storage Enclosure Type DAE R 005046431, a copper fiber channel switch and two HBA`s.
    The problem is that i don`t know how to use the switch , how to manage it and so on.
    The storage arrays are fully populated with hard drives and manage to access them by connecting the directly to the HBA.
    One of the arrays when is powered up is spinning all drives and all drives are accessible within seconds , the other array i think is faulty or maybe i have to set something , when is powered up it spins only 5 drives out of ten. In order to spin the other drives i have to pull them out and put them back in.
    the drives spinning when is powered up are 0,3,5,7,9 if i pull the non spinning ones and put them back in they all spin but disk no 9 shows as faulty and if i pull it out no 7 shows as faulty and if pull this one out as well no 5 shows faulty and so on , pull out no 5 - no 3 faulty , pull no 3 - no 1 faulty , pull no 1 - no 8 faulty an so on until all drives are out. If all drives are spinning in the `faulty` array all disks are accessible from windows.
    Other thing is the transfer speed when i copy something from the pc to the array starts from 180-220 Mbs and goes down until it reaches 1 Mbs.

So my questions are as follows :
    How do i manage the switch ( gigworks sanbox-8 switch , model no: SANB-008-005 4 , PART NUMBER : 30237-04 5 , S/N: S00001122)
    can i connect the 2 arrays to one pc using only one port HBA by creating a loop or something without using the switch
    how do i increase the transfer speeds.
    The arrays can be managed somehow through software.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Looks like Qlogic bought out Gigworks. If this is accurate, here is a link I found to the user's manual:

http://filedownloads.qlogic.com/files/TempDownlods/13546/SAN816_SwM-06.pdf

Hopefully you can log in to the switch to look at how it's configured/to actually configure it. Fiber channel networking is pretty different than Ethernet networking. The basic steps involved are to 1) zone in the HBAs and LUN together and 2) configure LUN masking at the array.

The fact you're able to write data to the array means all the components are already preconfigured to work with each other. What is the host device? Is it a desktop or server box? What is the OS you're running? After connecting everything up and booting the OS, are you certain the LUN is appearing as a new drive?

You cannot create a loop with FC. To connect multiple arrays on a single network, you need a FC switch.

With the Clariion, you have to look closely at what you have. The model number you posted with DAE (disk array enclosure) tells me that's just a drive shelf with no control logic. DAEs are connected to the controller head via fiber. I suspect the other chassis is the controller and the DAE needs to be connected to it. The controller is then connected to the FC switch.

It's been a long time since I've worked on a Clariion array; specifically the CX3 and CX4 arrays. The Clariion arrays have software you would load called Power Path onto the OS accessing the array. Power Path is EMC's MPIO (multipath I/O) driver. Some OS' have MPIO drivers built into them such as VMware vSphere. You still have to access the admin console of the Clariion to configure the array along with getting information on the health of the array. Also, you would need to see what RAID level the drives have been configured or if RAID needs to be configured. Unfortunately, getting documentation and software from EMC is next to impossible unless you have an active support account. Also based on what I'm seeing, this equipment is very very old. The fact the FC switch is a 1Gb switch tells me this. FC speeds have evolved to 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32Gb having just been released.

This is a cool project to learn about SANs and SAN networking. I wouldn't put any data I care about on that array. The age of the array would make me worry about the reliability of the drives. Drives used in this vintage array are very specific/unique drives. The interface for these drives are also fiber channel based in protocol even though they're "copper" attached to the backplane of the enclosure. The transition to SAS/SATA happened much later. So getting spare drives will be a challenge. In addition, you have to get EMC specific drives that are compatible with your array. The arrays look for a BIOS signature on the drives before the array will utilize the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice