1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help needed with winzip

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by laurfar, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Hi, I want to know if the Winzip program I just had trouble with, and then reinstalled after calling the company, works well. I purchased the program CD, and now want to see if everything got straightened out by calling their tech support. It is Winzip 8.5. Is anyone willing to send me a "test" zip file to my email so I can see if all is working well. I just want a simple one. If you are willing, let me know.

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

whats your email address?

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

If you go to almost any freeware or shareware website, a large portion of the files there are .zip.

Also, many .exe files can be opened with WinZip, if they are constructed to be a collection of files to first be uncompressed before the executing of the rest of the program. To open an .exe file just right click the .exe and see if "Open with WinZip" already exists.
    Otherwise, you may need to select "Open With..." and you may have to browse to your WinZip .exe file to 'tell' Windows to use that program. (It is not too hard, just a little awkward.)

The problem with attempting to open .exe files, with WinZip, is that if it doesn't open, you haven't proved anything.

4. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Hi rebel music, my email is

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's really a VERY BAD idea to post your email address in an open forum. If you like getting lots of junk email, that's the way to do it.

6. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Ok, I got your email address, now edit your post and delete it off the page

7. 911

8. john@help

[email protected] Banned

sorry i have win 98 se butt i just dont have winzip by the way i have worked with winzip it works very very well

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

there are many other unzipping programs that do as equally good a job. Check out:
    Quick Zip
    ZipGenius
    TUGZip
    IZArc
    ICEOWS
    ZipCentral
    ZipE.D.

All these are rated "6 Duckies" (6 out of 6, being very good) at NoNags.com, and they are all free, with no nagging screens.

Also, I find it VERY unlikely that loading WinZip damaged any executable of yours. WinZip is a very well known, very respected utility.

10. 911

Here are over 30 windows problems associated with Winzip. I have met several of them personally ---911
    http://support.microsoft.com/search...ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=2&ast=3&mode=a&x=13&y=10

11. ChuckE

ChuckE

Of all those items found by searching Microsofts Knowledge Base for "extract winzip" does not necessarily find problems with WinZip and the extract program. They are only articles that have the two words "extract" (not necessarily the Extract.exe program from Microsoft), and "winzip" mentioned somewhere in the same article.

Examples:
    1. The mention that WinZip can't extract a hidden folder.
    2. A WinZip problem may ensue, not being able to extract if it is not set up correctly.
    3. A problem with IE security.
    4. Attempting to view or extract an IPD-aware package.
    5. An issue where it isn't a WinZip problem at all, in fact the article mentions how to use WinZip to extract a file from a MS file 'Dotnetfx.exe'

That is only the first 5 hits, and then I could go on, but it all looks the same for the rest.

If WinZip was so bad it would not be the one program that is synonymous with, and is always mentioned for, compressing and uncompressing files. I won't say that it can't give some problems with the right (wrong?) conditions, but in my opinion it is just about the best for what it does.

12. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

How do I edit my post with my email address on it. Don't know how to edit posts.

13. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Johnwill, Figured it out, and deleted the email address. I wasn't thinking straight I guess. Thanks for reminding me.

14. 911

I don't really want to argue about it. Windows ME has it's own 'un-zipper' called "Extract" which I had used for about a year with no problems. One day it vanished. I found information on a Tech. Site somewhere to the effect that Winzip modified some Windows file so that "Extract" would not work afterwards. I recalled that I had installed a trial version of Winzip sometime before I discovered the problem with "Extract". Subsequently, I have re-installed Windows, "Extract" returned, and I have never tried Winzip again. I hope you continue to have good results when using Winzip.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice