1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Needed with XP Pro Hanging & Rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by byanoseau, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Would someone please help me with the following problems.

1. The computer intermittently hangs/freezes when the computer is being used or even if it is idle with all programs closed.

2. The computer intermittently reboots when the computer is being used, either connected to the internet or not or even if it is idle with all programs closed.

I have Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 1600, 512MB (2 x 256) DDR Ram.

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

John

2. tnik

tnik

john, it almost sounds like the blaster virus... try going to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and running an online scan.. you might have to do this in safemode w/ networking.. if its not a virus, another alternative is maybe your box is getting too hot... check to make sure that all the casefans and processor fans are working correctly..

3. HumAnomaly

HumAnomaly

I would say this is probably a hardware problem. I would bring your ram to a local computer store that has a ram burn in tester I know that computer renasance has them. As much as I hate computer renasance usually they will test your memory for free however the will tell you that if it fails the test that you must buy any replacement memory from them. You could try a Best Buy or something else I just know that computer renasanse has them for sure. If your ram is good then I would assume that it is your processor. Good Luck!

-Ben

4. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi tnik & HumAnomaly,

Thanks for the replies. Although I use Norton Antivirus, and keep it updated, I went to the Trend Micro site and tested the computer. No viruses were found on the C: drive and the computer froze while testing the D: drive. :))) It didn't get to test E: drive. I'm assuming if there was a virus on any of the drives Norton would have found it.
    What I neglected to tell you before is that sometimes when the computer reboots it fails find the E: drive or the CD-ROM/CD-RW drive, which is the secondary master and slave respectively. When I reboot again the drives appear as normal after scanning the files for errors.

With regard to heat, I've had this system for some time now and it hasn't had, to my knowledge, any heating problems. If it did, how would I be able to confirm this?

Thanks for you input, it's much appreciated.

Regards,

John

5. tnik

tnik

well, if your not to computer savy, at least with hardware, I would suggest taking your box to a local computer shop and asking them politely to check the fans and powersupply. I can't see them charging too much for that.. Or just check to make sure that the fan on the powersupply works, that the case fan works, and that the processor fan works.

as far as a ram tester, there are plenty of programs out there that test ram, just google for them.. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ is one that I found.. make sure you read the directions.. or, you can do what HumAnomaly said and take the ram out to someone to test it..

6. MINz

MINz

Have you tried to do a system restore to a point you know your system was problem free?

MINz

7. dai

dai

turn off the auto reboot so you get the bsod error message and post it

8. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice. Firstly, the CPU & case fans are working ok and are not blocked. The case has no sides so there shouldn't be any heat build up inside the case.

I've noticed that the freeze/reboot problem mostly occurs if I have numerous windows open or if I'm using a program like Photoshop. This is my pagefile set up. As stated, I have 512MB DDR Ram. 3 physical HDD. C: Program files Pagefile(s) D: 256/1536 E: 256/1536

As suggested, I'll turn off the auto reboot and let you know what the message is next time it occurs. I've also downloaded the memory tester and will post the results of that test also. With regard to the restore point, I'm not sure which will be a good one.

Thanks again for your help everyone, it's much appreciated.

John

9. MINz

MINz

It sounds like it may be a RAM issue. If you run a memory test and it doesn't come back with any errors there still could be timing issues. Depending on what motherboard you're using, you could change the memory timings to a more conservative setting.

What motherboard are you using?

MINz

10. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi MINz,

I have a MSI K7T266 Pro 2 Motherboard. I did a RAM test and it returned no errors. A couple of other observations, if I try using Photoshop, it slows to a crawl. Also, everytime the I start the computer it does a file check on the E: drive. This is a 40GB Maxtor drive. I don't know whether this makes a difference or not, but the E: drive is a NTFS and the other two drives are FAT32.

Thanks for your help MINz.

John

11. MINz

MINz

Have you done thorough check of your E drive? Sounds like there may be bad sectors.

What drive is your page file (swap file) located?

MINz

12. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi MINz,

The pagefile is split across two drives. D: & E: Each has 256 min and 1536 max. Each time the computer boots it does a file check on E: drive. Is there a more thorough check I can do? This drive is relatively new, not that means much I suppose. Sometimes when the computer boots it can't see the E: drive or the CD ROM/RW drive and I have to restart the computer so the drive(s) become visible.

Thanks MINz

John

13. dai

dai

run
    chkdsk E: /p
    if the drives are both on the same cable,check the cable at the m/b and the drives for a loose connection.
    try another cable

14. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

G'day dai,

How do I prevent the computer from doing a file check on the E: drive every time the computer boots? There are no scheduled tasks running.

Thanks.

John

15. dai

dai

something must be telling windows that something is wrong
    try replacing the eide cable e drive is on
    d/l and run the h/d diognostic program from the h/d manufacturer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice