1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed with yet another BSOD in Vista. [Vista > Hardware Analysis Needed]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fivenine, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fivenine

fivenine Thread Starter

Hi - Ive been getting a few different blue screens (of Death) errors ever since I bought my new PC. I bought the parts on 11/9/07 and built it myself (had previous experience). My specs...

Mobo - Asus P5N32-E SLI
    Chip - intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    OS - Vista Home Premium
    GPU - Inno 3D 8800GTS OC 320MB
    Ram - Kingston 1G 800Mhz PC2 6400 (X2)
    HD - Segate 320g Sata2 7200 (x2)

All drivers that are being used are from the part manufacturers and are the latest. I have also flashed the MOBO with the latest firmware.
    The BSOD often occured when I was playing Games at maxed settings - so I tried lower settings with no change. Soon enough BlueScreens were happening with an idilling desktop. I have had 5 different errors (see below) and one re-occuring (1a) - I've only had 5 different ones since i turned off 'auto-reset' - cause i cant write that quick lol.

Here are the error messages (in full)...
    1A (0x00041287-0x0081c3ef-0x00..0-0x00..0)
    7E (0xc000001d-0x81dff675-9b2c7b54-9b2c7850)
    7F (0x00..0-0x00..0-0x00..0-0x00..0)
    A (0x80010069-0x000000ff-0x00000001-0x81c8f55f)
    8E (0xc00000005-0x81df59e8-0xa9299b0c-0x00..0)

I suppose, what Im after is for some one to tell me if i been sold faulty hardware or if its Vista compatablilty or even my incorrect build and setup.
    I havent included the minidump for 2 reasons - 1- dont know how? and 2- ive done a cleanup and removed all of them, since my "maxi" dump files were over 5 gig. I'll include them as soon as it happens again.

anyhow if someone has alittle knowledge and suggestions for me to try - It would be appreciated

thx

EDIT-Ive also since done a registry clean out using Abexo Regestry cleaner (yet to see if it works..)
    EDIT2- just went off to play ETquakewars Demo and had this blue screen - 0x0000000A (0x00000018-0x00000002-0x00000000-0x8181c83c)
    EDIT3- Then surfed for a bit on the net - only to get this error - 0x0000000A(0x01ffffff-0x00000002-0x00000001-0x8181de76)
    Edit4 - Now this .. 0x0000008E (0xc0000005-0x819b21cc-0xa25e7c8c-0x00000000)

2. fivenine

fivenine Thread Starter

Anyoone have an idea? - also could temperature affect all this?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

>> Are you overclocking? Do you have a power supply that can handle the graphics card you have installed?

The variety of errors certainly suggests hardware -- such as ram or heat. Vista has a built in memory checker but I don't know if it is as good as memtest86.

To run it, run mdsched.exe, read the additional info and run the extended tests.

The most important part of a STOP message is really the driver file mentioned -- especially if it is a NON Microsoft driver.

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

>>> Also, in Vista there is an extensive "system health diagnostic". Go to the Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced -- and run it.

Look at the hardware diagnostic part of it in particular.

Attached Files:

4. fivenine

fivenine Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I have nothing overclocked -apart from the factory set overclocked videocard. My PSU is only a 450W Antec (Perhaps the problem lies here). The Memory should be ok, because i ran 'memtest86' for about 20 hours with no errors. Do I still need to test further? Ill use windows mem tester anyway..

I have also been running 'Asus PC-Probe2' to monitor voltages and temperatures. All my voltages have been slightly under the nominal values (eg. +3.3 is at 3.2 etc...). I did receive a few temperature warnings for the memory - I have the warning to set off at 45c , CPU sits at 36-39 with a threshold of 65c. I have turned on an extra fan and set all fans to the third and highest speed. This is the case url, http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900 so it should be able to cool down my hardware (note the 200mm top fan :) ). I have had no temp warning since doing these things.

I have included the minidump files about 3 days worth. I've also included the windows 'system health diagnostic' report.

Thanks again for you time..

Attached Files:

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

All of the minidumps that I've looked at (about a half dozen or so) indicate either "memory corruption" or "hardware fault".

It's not clear what is causing it. I would definitely be suspicious of an undepowered PS though -- I'm sure your graphics card probably consumes more than half that under load >> http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479/7

6. cdemkows

cdemkows

I would think its just problems with vista. I also just built a computer and I tried installing vista from my xp. It didn't work i keep getting blue screens with simular errors. I've heard vista is trouble and it doesn't identify the new motherboards and technology out. I ended up putting xp back on it and it runs perfect.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You bought these parts next month?

Just because you just bought these parts do NOT mean that they are Vista compatible, they can sit on the shelfs for years.

Are these "Latest" drivers ALL Vista drivers?

8. fivenine

fivenine Thread Starter

11th of September 2007 (We in Australia write this as 11\9\07 - were all upsidedown and backtofront here lol). Also I mentioned the date that I bought them purely to state that I bought them brand new and recently.

All drivers are for Vista and have windows certificates, and I know the MOBO, CPU, Graphics Card and RAM are Vista compatable. That only leaves Hard Drives, CD ROM and my PCI Parallel card (printer) - and they shouldn't Blue screen right?

Im really tending to think that the PSU is the main culprit - cause it would explain general hardware faults. Or it could be bad RAM (but it doesn't show errors when being tested via multiple testing apps.).

Asus PC probe doesn't show any warning with voltages (even RAM voltages) and I'm using the default settings for the voltage thresholds. I'll try to lower the thresholds to test.

for informations sake - here are the voltages for each component that I run at (idle):
    Vcore=1.34v
    +3.3=3.2v
    +5.0=4.97v
    +12=11.65v
    1.2VHT=1.25v
    SBCORE=1.52v
    CPU VTT=1.52v
    DDR2 TERM=1.06v
    NBCORE=1.23v
    MEMORY=2.13v

I'm not going to pretend I understand what these values mean - cause I have no idea. Hopefully someone will find it useful. The only bad thing about PC Probe 2 is the lack of log files - it could help here. It does, however, log errors reported - but never had I had one with a voltage error yet (that I know of) - Does anyone know of a App. that logs the voltages over a period of time?

I'm still going to get a new PSU, 450W would run vista but probably not with a factory set overclocked DX10 card. Hopefully next week. I'm tending towards a 600W - should be enough?

thanks again all...

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which 450 W Antec Power Supply? Antec has a good reputation for providing the necessary power. For example, the Smart Power & True Power series are capable of providing a continuous amount of power; whereas other, lesser, brands are capable of providing that amount of W for a "peak" or "burst".

How many optical drives do you have?

RR knows that of which he speaks. I have relied on RR for assistance with multiple minidump [ and other ] problems.

Run Memtest86 overnight. Memtest86 is available for floppy disk & bootable CD.

If the ram passes Memtest86 for 8+ hrs, put in a larger power supply; Antec True Power or Smart Power. Hopefully you purchased the power supply locally.

Hopefully, your vendor will allow you to return all parts, within 30 days.

1 option:
    Remove all add in boards, except your video card. If your motherboard has onboard video, remove the video card. Disconnect the power & data cables to all of your optical drives. Do the same for your non-boot to HDD & your Floppy Disk drive, if installed. Disconnect all peripherals except mouse, monitor, keyboard, power supply.

Use the PC.

If the problems go away, add the above items back, a few at a time. Keep METICULOUS records. When the problem returns, remove / disconnect all of the items you added back, to verify your problem. Then, re-add them, 2 at a time, until you find the culprit.

The problem is that if you have a faulty power supply, you may end up overloading the power supply, instead of finding the culprit.

Best of success.

RF123

10. fivenine

fivenine Thread Starter

OK here is my update,

I went out and bought a new Antec 650W PSU (it is a True Power Trio - SLI ready) - And already Iv'e had about 7 or 8 BSOD since I installed it yesterday late afternoon. and its now 0900 next day (lotsaBSods) - So its not PSU unfortunately (oh and by the way - the 450W PSU was true power also).

I used the latest Nvidia drivers for the GPU (the last were Beta drivers and now they have released the new ones). They are 163.69.

I only run 1 DVD burner (sony) no other optical drives.

Since Iv'e run memtest86 for over 20 hours, i can rule out memory. So the only thinking to do now is what Rainforest suggested by taking out all non-essential parts and going from there. Although all i would do is remove DVD, 2nd HD, and PCI card - the rest is essential (videocard, ram, Master HD, Keyboard, mouse) .

Also I can almost always create a BSOD by running a games with max settings, and it should happen within 2 mins. (The games that do this mostly are: World in conflict, Doom3, HalfLife2 - ep2, Medal of honour Airborne)

are these openGL games? and does that make a difference?

- Cause other games I can run for much longer before getting a blue screen (like Oblivion, Bioshock, Battlefield 2, Settlers6-demo-, Colin Mcrae DIRT, ET-Quake wars) - these games dont Blue screen in the first five minutes but will eventually (even up to an hour- sometimes longer).

I mentioned the games here cause, some are worse then others (in regard to bluescreens) and perhaps someone can tell the difference and also Blue screen happen 95% more frequently when running a game. I can get perfect frame rate with ultra settings and all games (using my monitors native resolution of 1680x1050 WS) - So it doesn't seem to be under heavy load since it doesn't struggle to perform. I presumed BSOD would occur after the system was strained beyond breaking point (like temps too high - or not enough voltage).

I have no idea now - Ill try and remove the pci card (printer) and disconnect the slave HD and DVD Burner - and see if that changes anything.

I'm used to running a 2.8 celron with 768Mb ram with an ATI 9800Pro on XP - So I really have no idea what could be causing this.

My lastest conclusions:
    1-not PSU
    2-could be Vista
    3-have been sold faulty hardware

will post back

thanks again

Just a thought - what about a faulty MOBO?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hardware is not my forte, so I am going to move this thread to the hardware forum.

I wonder if you can pick out your ram from this list or a comparable one and post the relevant specs >>

http://shop.kingston.com/memtype_parts.asp?type=DDR2+PC2+6400&SUBMIT1=Find

You really need someone who can tell you whether the voltages are within range for what you have or whether it may be worthwhile to tweak them if it can be done.

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

Have you run hard disk drive [ HDD ] diags?

Try to find them from the HDD manufacturer. Hitachi has one that will run on non - Hitachi HDDs [ some HDD diags are manufacturer specific ], but I have seen Hitachi's diag determine that a non - Hitachi HDD is ok, when, in fact, the HDD failed the manufacturer specific diags.
    Why run Hitachi? Because, in my opinion, if the HDD fails the Hitachi diags, the HDD is probably bad.

RF123

13. fivenine

fivenine Thread Starter

here is my new update...

ran HD tests (segate and Hitachi) , but could not find the drives cause somehow they are setup as removable drives. Ive plugged them into the Sata2 slots on the MOBO and set them with Auto detect settings in BIOS - They both run fine in Vista. So no tests were done on the drives (yet...)

I have spoken to the shop that i bought the parts off, and they recommended that i change the memory timings and voltages, then benchmark them using 3dmark06, then stress test them using prime95. I have changed the timings from Auto to 5,5,5,15, and ran 3dmark06 with a 7001 benchmark score (with no errors). I ran prime95 torture test for over 7 hours and all tests were passed with no errors or warnings. I also used Cpuz (Ver. 141) to verify that the timings were set right (ie.5,5,5,15). The voltages were recommended to be set at 2.1v, since it was set at 2.13v voltage was fine (interesting to note was the specs of the ram - see below - stating that the voltage required was 1.8v +/-.1v - 2.1v seems to much - maybe not...

So I can presume hardware is ok?!?

BTW - I have had no BSOD for sometime (like 2 days). As ive only changed the memory timings, I 'feel' that its not fully fixed quite yet. There was no sudden change or anything - since the BSOD were not reliably occuring. But I have run a few games in ultra settings with no errors - but have a few more to check before i conclude its fixed. If it was just the timings of the ram, I wonder why the auto/default setting was not the stablest/safest. The memory I am using is only the cheaper Kingston ValueRam 'KVR800D2N5/1G' and perhaps can't run at the faster timings. Here are the specs of the my valueram:

Clock Cycle Time (tCK) CL=5-----------------------------2.5ns (min.) / 8ns (max.)
    Row Cycle Time (tRC)-------------------------------------60ns (min.)
    Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFC)------105ns
    Row Active Time (tRAS)-----------------------------------38ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)
    Single Power Supply of -----------------------------------+1.8V (+/- .1V)
    Power--------------------------------------------------------1.872 W (operating)
    UL Rating----------------------------------------------------94 V - 0

So thats it for now - i'm off to try and create a BSOD........

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Did you download SATA diags or IDE diags?

Hopefully the change in the memory timings will solve your BSOD issue.

There is more to hardware than the CPU, ram & HDDs.

If you believe the change of memory timings fixed your issue, please mark this case solved using the "thread tools", above.

If you need more assistance, please add additional information.

RF123

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!