1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by confused_kitty, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. confused_kitty

confused_kitty Thread Starter

hi everyone. anyone that could help me i would really apreciate it.
    I just brough myself a brand new asus M51v laptop. I am having all sorts of trouble installing programs i have downloaded from the internet. I am trying to installl a anti virus progrum and it keeps saying : an unidentified program wants to access your computer and either accept/i trust this file or cancel i dont know where this program has come from.
    than it just sais that the file is invalid, but i got the file from a legal authurised website.
    i am also aving trouble installing a database like program it sais the same message and unidentified program....accept or deny, and after i accept it sais; the installer you are trying to use is corrupt or incomplete. you may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy. it may be possible to skip this check using the NCRC command line switch (NOT RECCOMENDED).
    i am finding it very difficult to install or run any programs on my computer. It rus on windows vista and it is like there is some sort of security setting not letting me put anything onto my computer.
    i am a beginner with computers so i dont understand vry well much about them so any help i can get would be really apprecited. thankyou!!!

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Ok, the "unidentified program..." stuff is Vista asking you if you are sure you want to install the program because it doesn't trust much of anything (which protects itself). Did you click OK to give it your permission?

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

When you install software or change the system configuration, you have to have "administrator privileges" to do it. If you are the only user then you should have those privileges. Do you have a user password set up for yourself?

4. topcat989

topcat989

5. confused_kitty

thankyou people :) thanks for trying to help but unfortunetly its not working stil.
    i said accept and it just said the file is invalid. and yes i am an administrator on my computer and i have a p/word and everything.
    and thankyou for the links to the websites but they wont work on my computer, i tried to download the anti virus one and it gave me the same message; allow/ i trust this program or deny/i dont know where this has come from. so i pressed allow and it said that it is not a valid win32 program. this is what is sais for everyhing!!!! any suggestions???
    any other anti virus programs i can download ???
    thankyou for everyones heelp :) much appreciated!!!

6. infospace

infospace

check the firewall settings, see if there is any other antivirus program installed which wont allow other programs to install, but if most of your programs are not getting installed then it must be some protection settings from vista, check out if you can disable those settings. any vista there are lot of compatiblity issues kindly check if your programs are compatible for vista

7. confused_kitty

i did have norton anti virus but i unistalled it due to a friends advice and i was told to get AVG anti virus, i tried AVG and it wouldnt let me install it!. i have turned my firewall off to let stuff in but still it isnt letting anything in.
    i have absolutley no idea what to do.
    ???
    how might i go about finding out if there is some sort of protection from vista on my computer ? just in my control panel ?
    i have this thing callled "ASUS MULTIFRAME" on my pc, could this be it possibly ? i have absolutley no idea what this multiframe is either????

8. infospace

infospace

click Allow in the User Account Control dialog box to let the repair or remove operation continue

9. infospace

infospace

ASUS Multiframe adds an extra facility on windows that are open on the desktop, look at the top right hand corner, netxt to the 'minimize' tab. It allows to quickly move and resize the window, try it if you won't use it you can uninstall it.

10. topcat989

topcat989

confused_kitty,

Have you tried tweakuac and turned off the User Account Control ?

11. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

confused_kitty,
    Did you try right clicking on the the installation file, then select Run as Administrator from the popup menu.
    Vista treats even Administrator accounts as regular users and will not let you install certain types of programs or access system restricted files unless you are Running as an Administrator.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!