1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help networking Win98 to WinXP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stuart_Hall, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stuart_Hall

Stuart_Hall Thread Starter

Hi,

I feel so stupid!

I am trying to get a Win98 PC to print to a HP Deskjet 920C which is connected via USB to a WinXP PC...

Doesnt sound too difficult, except I cannot get the 98 Machine to see the XP one. I can ping the 98 one from the XP one but not vice versa. I have checked the following:

1. Both machines are on the same workgroup
    2. Same subnet
    3. Same IP Range
    4. Sharename is correct
    5. Tried swapping cat5 cables between wallports and the result is exactly the same.
    6. Printer is switched on :)
    7. Machines can both access the internet so im guessing the patch leads and NIC's are ok

Can anyone think of anything I might have missed? Its driving me crackers lol :confused:

Thanks in advance,
    Stuart

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Can the Windows 98 machine ping the windows XP one? Are XP firewalls off (either third party or SP2 integrated firewall)?

3. Stuart_Hall

No it cannot

I take it you mean the internet connection firewall? Im trying that now...

thanks for quick reply
    stu

4. Stuart_Hall

Yes it seems the firewall was blocking it, I feel so stupid lol!

I knew it was something simple! Its been a long day!

Is there anyway I could keep the firewall running and still allow the machine to act as a print server? (For example exceptions to the firewall, like you would specify IP Addresses which are allowed)

I am just a tad concerned that the machine wll now be online without a firewall. Will I need to install a third party one like Zonealarm?

Many thanks StumpedTechy

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Which firewall was it? The XP one? If so you should just be able to add File/Print Sharing exceptions within the software.

As I only use the NAT firewall and don't use software firewalls I can't give specifics hopefully someone else can either tell you the right information or you may want to start a new thread asking what exact configuration you need in order for your firewall to work.

Firewalls are usually a big point of failure in a network and thats why I stick just with the hardware NAT.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One way to configure the XP firewall is to run the Network Setup Wizard (find it in Control Panel) to enable file and printer sharing.

Another way: Control Panel - Security Center - Windows Firewall (in the Manage security setting section). On the General tab select "On" and on the Exceptions tab select File and Printer sharing.

7. Stuart_Hall

(y) Thanks guys

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice