Help! New build doesn't work!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Agonylord52

Hey everyone!

I just finished a new pc build with all high end parts, besides a gpu, and upon completing the assembly, my monitor refuses to come off standby. That little orange LED is laughing at me.

If anyone could give me some help with finding out what could be wrong, i would appreciate it immensely.

My new build consists of:
Asus z170 deluxe mobo
Evga supernova 650 g2 psu
Intel i7-6700k cpu
Noctua nh-d15 cooler
Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 mhz ram
Samsung 950 Pro 256 gb m.2 ssd, connected via pcie expansion card that came with the mobo.

All the fans come on, and the tower lights up, but there's no signal getting to my monitor, which ive connected via hdmi.

Any ideas?

Did you bench test everything before installing into the case?
Are you sure you have installed all the stand offs correctly and non of them are in the wrong place shorting out the board?
Have you installed the 8 pin power into the board?

I ALWAYS recommend, bench testing before committing the components to the case, otherwise you can end up in the situation you are in and have to either, dig around the tight space within the case to find the cause or dismantle and bench test anyways. My suggestion to you would be to

1) Remove the board from the case
2) Place in a non conductive surface such as wood/cardboard
3) Install one stick of RAM
4) Install one HD
5) Install CPU
6) Connect PSU to motherboard

Turn it on and see what happens. If it works outside of the case then it means something was possibly shorting the board within the case, check the stand offs, if it doesn't work then we will need to dig a little deeper.

Agonylord52

Alright, I'll do that! I'll get back to you after i've tried it out.

Also, i should mention that the led q code display on the mobo itself reads 99, the speaker gave one short beep, and the boot_device_led light was on.

Agonylord52

No luck with the bench test.

Could it be my hdmi cord? I read somewhere that an old one might not be compatible with the new hdmi versions, and mine is pretty old.

I've also read that the q error code being stuck on "99" means that the mobo itself is damaged, or has a corrupted bios.

Another few things i should note are that 1. The vga_led lights up briefly during startup, before the unending error code 99 appears.
And 2. One of the board's heatsinks gets very warm to the touch after only a few minutes of having been on. So much so that the plastic decal on top of it has become wrinkly.

Any of this hlp with a diagnosis?

the HDMI cable should work fine, unless it is damaged so I don't think that is the issue.

You didn't previously mention the error code 99, I done a quick search and yes it seems to be an issue with either a defective motherboard or BIOS, I guess at this stage it wouldn't hurt to try to update the BIOS, the current version is 1801 12/05/2016 - might be worth updating it and see what happens. If this fails then I'd replace the board.

Agonylord52

I tried to flash the bios with the newest version. No joy.
I put the z170 deluxe .cap file on the usb, renamed it z170d.cap, and plugged it into the flashback enabled usb slot. Then i held the flash button until the led started flashing. But after a few seconds, it stopped flashing and just stayed lit up, which i think is a signal saying it disn't work.

I've also noticed that the heatsink covering the bios chips is getting so warm that the plastic decal on top is starting to deform.

Gr3iz

Mark
If the board is brand new, you might want to contact Asus' tech support.

Have you tried with a VGA or DVI monitor connection?

Return the board, sound like it may be dead. This would be the easiest and fastest solution.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online