1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! new Netbook, Reinstall 7 OS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MusicGuy777, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MusicGuy777

MusicGuy777 Thread Starter

Have a brand new HP Pavillion dm1 Netbook, shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and 21 malicious Rootkits that I've been unable to remove and believe they shipped with the computer!

Have gone round & round with HP and they will do absolutely nothing about it and I've been unable to get rid of the Rootkits. So..I want to be safe and to start anew.

I want to wipe the computer completely clean and Reinstall my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS. But even after having read a number of posts about somewhat similar situations, they're all different, not the same, and I'm lost! Have no clue.

I don't want to buy another OS! Don't have to, do I? Besides, this Netbook has no DVD or CD drive, so can't copy one from a CD anyway.

What do I do, and where do I go to get this done?

Have done a couple of System Recoveries (not Restores) on the computer already, (have only only had it for 2 weeks) and of course the Rootkits are still there. Have absolutely nothing on the computer yet that I would want to back-up as I found the Rootkits right after getting Windows installed on it for the very first time.

I just simply want to wipe this computer absolutely squeaky clean to get rid of the Rootkits and then Reinstall the same OS that it originally came with, but have no clue how to do that. - Where do I even begin? I'm lost.

Thanks!

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Send this back to HP. It's under warranty.

3. MusicGuy777

Thanks for the reply, but I already did that. Spent the first week doing all I could to get rid of the Rootkits, went round & round with HP in the meantime. Finally someone at HP, said to send it back and they'd have Repair look at it. I sent along a note with it asking if they could just Reinstall the OS seeing that it had Rootkits.

Got a call back and they said, basically, sorry, too bad, not their problem. They sent it back to me in the exact same condition that I sent it to them in. Just got it back the other day and absolutely nothing has been done to it!

So I now just want to wipe the OS clean and Reinstall the same OS that it came with but have no clue where to begin.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

I'd assume the machine came with a restore partition you can reinstall the OS fresh...

5. Lance1

Lance1

If the Netbook has a recovery partition follow this:

Taken from the Maintenance and Service Guide​

Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Then, press f11 while the “Press <F11> for recovery” message is displayed on the screen.
    2. Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

6. MusicGuy777

Thanks, but - been there, done that. One of the 1st go-arounds with HP said to just do a System Recovery (not Restore) and the Rootkits would be gone. I tried that at least 2 or 3 times, but they're still there.

What I need now is to wipe this Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS, completely clean, and to Reinstall the very same OS from scratch.

7. MusicGuy777

PruneJuice - I have no idea what a Partition is, where to find it, how to do it. Can you direct me to any further instructions? I just want to reinstall the very same OS the Netbook came with.

8. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,did you try removing the rootkits in safe mode and system resore turned off

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

Instructions should have come with your manual, or you can download the manual from HP's site for your specific model.

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What program is telling you that you have these "Rootkits"?

11. Hughv

Hughv

12. MusicGuy777

13. Hughv

Hughv

Technically a rootkit, but meant to be benign and installed by the manufacturer?
    I can't say I like what they've done, but you accepted the license agreement and this hardly seems to be a big deal.
    If you can't return the computer just live with it. I quit buying HPs long ago because of stuff like this. If there's enough outrage they'll do something about it but I doubt it will have any effect on your computing experience.
    Note:"For it to be an effective theft-recover service, Ortega and Sacco explained that it has to be stealthy, must have complete control of the system and must be highly-persistent to survive a hard disk wipe or operating system reinstall."

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice