Help! new Netbook, Reinstall 7 OS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MusicGuy777

Have a brand new HP Pavillion dm1 Netbook, shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and 21 malicious Rootkits that I've been unable to remove and believe they shipped with the computer!

Have gone round & round with HP and they will do absolutely nothing about it and I've been unable to get rid of the Rootkits. So..I want to be safe and to start anew.

I want to wipe the computer completely clean and Reinstall my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS. But even after having read a number of posts about somewhat similar situations, they're all different, not the same, and I'm lost! Have no clue.

I don't want to buy another OS! Don't have to, do I? Besides, this Netbook has no DVD or CD drive, so can't copy one from a CD anyway.

What do I do, and where do I go to get this done?

Have done a couple of System Recoveries (not Restores) on the computer already, (have only only had it for 2 weeks) and of course the Rootkits are still there. Have absolutely nothing on the computer yet that I would want to back-up as I found the Rootkits right after getting Windows installed on it for the very first time.

I just simply want to wipe this computer absolutely squeaky clean to get rid of the Rootkits and then Reinstall the same OS that it originally came with, but have no clue how to do that. - Where do I even begin? I'm lost.

Thanks!

MusicGuy777

Thanks for the reply, but I already did that. Spent the first week doing all I could to get rid of the Rootkits, went round & round with HP in the meantime. Finally someone at HP, said to send it back and they'd have Repair look at it. I sent along a note with it asking if they could just Reinstall the OS seeing that it had Rootkits.

Got a call back and they said, basically, sorry, too bad, not their problem. They sent it back to me in the exact same condition that I sent it to them in. Just got it back the other day and absolutely nothing has been done to it!

So I now just want to wipe the OS clean and Reinstall the same OS that it came with but have no clue where to begin.

I'd assume the machine came with a restore partition you can reinstall the OS fresh...

If the Netbook has a recovery partition follow this:

Taken from the Maintenance and Service Guide​

Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Then, press f11 while the “Press <F11> for recovery” message is displayed on the screen.
2. Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

MusicGuy777

Thanks, but - been there, done that. One of the 1st go-arounds with HP said to just do a System Recovery (not Restore) and the Rootkits would be gone. I tried that at least 2 or 3 times, but they're still there.

What I need now is to wipe this Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS, completely clean, and to Reinstall the very same OS from scratch.

MusicGuy777

PruneJuice - I have no idea what a Partition is, where to find it, how to do it. Can you direct me to any further instructions? I just want to reinstall the very same OS the Netbook came with.

Instructions should have come with your manual, or you can download the manual from HP's site for your specific model.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What program is telling you that you have these "Rootkits"?

Technically a rootkit, but meant to be benign and installed by the manufacturer?
I can't say I like what they've done, but you accepted the license agreement and this hardly seems to be a big deal.
If you can't return the computer just live with it. I quit buying HPs long ago because of stuff like this. If there's enough outrage they'll do something about it but I doubt it will have any effect on your computing experience.
Note:"For it to be an effective theft-recover service, Ortega and Sacco explained that it has to be stealthy, must have complete control of the system and must be highly-persistent to survive a hard disk wipe or operating system reinstall."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online