1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! New System Won't Start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cvoptimus, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

I just upgraded with a brand new motherboard, processor and ATX case: Althon XP 2000+ on an ECS K75Sa.
    Now nothing starts. The power comes on, the system and CPU fans come on, and the disk lights come on, but nothing else happens.
    There is no BIOS screen in fact nothing appears on the screen at all.
    The processor worked the day before on the old system as did the harddrive ( also only a few weeks old ).
    I actually had some other processors to switch and test.
    I also was able to switch to a spare video card to make sure I hadn't shorted that out somehow.
    I even tried clearing the BIOS as instructed in the motherboard documentation.
    But I get nothing. The screen is black. I have built other systems before but I have never seen this. I am completely baffled.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. n2gun

n2gun

First check and make sure a standoff post isn't shorting the board. Dismount from computer and place on cardboard and try it. Also make sure the memory is seated. With a new board the slots can be very tight.

Are there any beeps at all??

3. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Wow, that took forever! But in the interest of being thorough I disassembled then reassembled everything on cardboard in a way that I could test it. Same results.
    I then rebuilt the motherboard in the case which gave me an opportunity to triple check all the connections.

There are no beeps at all - the fans turn on and the drive lights come on- but nothing.

This is absolutely astounding. I have no clue whatsoever what it could be and there are very few options to play with.

My first thoughts were that somehow I shorted a part; But which part? And if so, why can't I identify it by switching it out with spares? What are the chances that all these parts went out at the same time?

This started two days ago when I tried to install a new heatsink and fan. I thought maybe I had scratched the board. (There is certainly no visible damage) I was thinking of getting a new case with more power anyway and I would soon be able to assemble another computer with left over parts- so, I thought I'd buy a new case and a new ( same type ) motherboard in case I'd just ruined the old one.

Now this new system won't work at all. The only part that wasn't already working two days ago is the new motherboard. Right out of the box. New WG Harddrive as well.

What are the chances a new motherboard right out of the box would fail the same way? Three CPUs? They all worked recently. I read that CPUs are fairly hardy once they've proven operable. What are the chances that three would all fail? Two video cards. Two motherboards. I tested 3 harddrives. The memory is Crucial and worked two days ago.

SO to recap- brand new system ostensibly dead: No BIOS screen, no boot, no beeps, just a black screen and the fans and drives turn on.

HELP!

4. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Okay, so no one has any idea what's wrong or how to fix it- I'm watching my post sink into oblivion with plenty of reads but no replys...

Well then how about some advice; What do I do now?
    Do I try to return parts while I still can? If so, which ones? The motherboard? The CPU? The new case ? How can I explain what is wrong? Has anyone ever had a system with all new parts that just doesnt seem to come alive at all?

Do I save up my money to see if there is some expert out there who can come visit and try to figure out what is happening in home?

Please help. I am at a total loss as to what to do. I don't even have a theory to explain what has gone wrong.

5. Westwood

Westwood

cry??

or alternatively seek proffesional help form a local pc repair place.. they might just see something you missed...

get a friedn to check through it..
    i dunno..
    must be something you havnt noticed...someone else might..

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

I have a K7S5A I had the same problem on. turned out that my front panel connections while correct were loose. jiggled a few wires and it suddenly came on...jiggled em again and its dead.

might also check your cmos jumper. that board ships with it in the "clear cmos" position and the board won't boot that way.

You probably know this but just to make sure.........you can only use EITHER Sdram or ddr even though the board supports both...populating both types of slots on the board will cause this problem also.

also check the cpu fan connection.

7. paul selhi

paul selhi

this may sound very obvious but hey a lot of obvious problems get overlooked, from original message the most obvius thing to check is the monitor and video card, you say you checked the vid card but what about the monitor ? does this work on a nother pc ? does another monitor work on this box ?

8. n2gun

n2gun

Double check your wires from the front of the case and also try reseating the memory. Maybe even in another slot. Had one board with a bad memory slot.

9. mtbird

mtbird

What size power supply are you using ? Did you upgrade this when you upgraded the system ?
    If not, then it may be only sufficient enough to power up the "bells and whistles" and not the rest of your hardware.

Debe

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When faced with a “new system won’t boot” I remove everything except the video card, and memory. See if it will post like that; if it does post, then start adding components one at a time. As an example:
    Just fixed a friends system that he was unable to load xp on; the problem was a promise controller card that xp did not like. By removing everything except what was necessary to load os; it loaded fine and was able to load card / drivers later.
    If it will not post with known good memory, video card, cpu, and ps; then I think you need to rma the board.
    Yes I have seen a few mb that were bad out of the box. Lately the problem seems to have diminished; perhaps better quality control.

11. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

thank you so much for all your replies: But this one really takes the cake.

Today I went to the store and had them test the CPU and motherboard separately. ( I had to disassemble and box them in order to bring them to the store. ) They are both apparently functional.
    Nevertheless, when I came home and put it all together, it still doesnt work.

Things I have already tried: Starting the system with just the memory (brand is CRUCIAL), video card and CPU.

-As regards the wires and connections, the fans and drive lights all come on when I turn it on- doesnt that mean that the board is getting power? It's "either or" isn't it? Some parts can't be powered and others not.

The new case is an upgrade in power: 350 W. Nevertheless, the old case was 300W and worked with a similar motherboard and all the same periferals.

If this weren't happening in front of me I wouldn't believe it.
    As a last resort I am paying someone to come by to see if he can figure it out.

12. n2gun

n2gun

When they tested the motherboard, what cpu did they use? Was it a different type and speed? I am wondering if it isn't something to do with the bios not seeing the cpu. 350 watt psu should more than handle it. especially when you try the minimum configuration.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have to ask. Why in the world didn't they test the processor in the MB? :confused: That's the configuration that doesn't work! :rolleyes:

14. misterbig

misterbig

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I just got a K7S5A today (and XP1800) with the same problem.. DEAD..

I have seen this before on a previous build using the same mobo, I got around it by installing a low-end Duron, booting to the BIOS, setting low-end Duron in the CPU settings, then changing the CPU to Athlon, it boots even though the speed is wrong, but then you can set the correct speed and it (should) work..

Today is different, I have done the Duron trick only to find it wont boot on that either..
    So to recap, brand new board will not boot up with 100FSB CPU or 133FSB CPU. There are no jumpers to set..
    I have emailed ECS with no response, this is obviously a common problem, so why is there no apparent solution?

Any help greatly appreciated before I pull out what remains of my hair :)

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

ECS is not a quality mgf of mb like Epox, Asus, Abit. If you have a chance to RMA the board, I would do so and get a quality board. If not you can try booting the mb out of the case with just the processor, one ram chip, and video card. Make sure everything is seated and you have a hsf connected to fan header 1. If it posts like this, then carefully install back into the case. If not and you have substituted a known good processor, you most likely have a dead board.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice