1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, new to home networking!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kkwikness, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkwikness

kkwikness Thread Starter

Okay, my mom got some wireless networking equipment from some guy at work. Here is a list of everything I recieved.

1 Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router
    1 Wireless Notebook Network Card I think its also a Wireless Desktop Adaptor

Now I recieved 2 pieces of equipment 1 card thing that looks like i'll have to install inside of one of the computers and a router which I also do not know how to install. Of course I recieved software for both pieces of equipment.

I have a DSL connection and I want to share this connection with another desktop PC in the house. Both systems are running Windows XP Home. Where do I start? Thanks for any help!

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm assuming that you have a computer as well.

If it is a laptop, insert the wireless PCMCIA adapter. These kinda look like a thick credit card.

If it is a desktop, then you typically need to open the case and insert a PCI network adapter.

In either case, follow the manufacturer's recommendations for installing the card and any necessary drivers to get your computer to communication with that card.

Connect your cable/dsl modem to the WAN port on your router.

Configure the workstations to obtain an IP address automatically. This is typically the default setting.

Turn on the cable modem. Wait a minute or so
    Turn on the router. Wait a miniute or so
    Turn on the computer. It should get an IP address from the router and have you connected to the Internet.

Again, double check with the router's instructions as well.

3. kkwikness

kkwikness Thread Starter

I want my brother in his room to use the dsl connection i have in my room. So I would install the network adaptor into his computer and put the router in my room where the dsl modem is, right?

I've installed the card into my brother's computer and I can't seem to get the computer to communicate with the card. When I booted it up, it didn't detect any new hardware.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes you would put the router in your room and connect the DSL to the WAN port on the router.

If the computer won't communicate with the card, you aren't going to get much further along. At this point I would double check all the instructions that came with it as far as installation and loading of drivers. If that doesn't work, check with the manufacturer.

5. kkwikness

kkwikness Thread Starter

Ok I got the network card working properly I think. Now to work on the router. So far I have my dsl modem connected to the router. The dsl modem is still connected to my computer via USB. What do I have to do now in terms of setting up the router? (You've been a big help so far thanks!)

6. kkwikness

kkwikness Thread Starter

...and do I have to make a connection from the router to the computer?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You do NOT want your dsl modem to be connected to your computer via a USB port. I would have mentioned to do that if it were necessary. You want your dsl modem connected to the WAN port on the router.

8. kkwikness

kkwikness Thread Starter

But I normally connect to the internet through USB, can't I just leave it like that? Do you have an AIM screen name I could talk to you on?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But know you want to change things, you got a router, and want to share that connection.

You could use ICS but then one computer would always have to be on or the other to connect to the Internet. It also does not provide the security that your router does.

10. kkwikness

kkwikness Thread Starter

the computer in my room doesn't have an ethernet jack, i need to use the usb. But my computer is always on anyway. Now what do I have to do to get my brother's computer online?

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Althought it was tough to tell from the first post exactly what you got, I thought you have a wireless router and a wireless network card for each computer?

12. kkwikness

kkwikness Thread Starter

no, I have 1 card and 1 router.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

My recommendation would be to get another card. If you are close to the router, and it has ethernet ports, then a simple wired ethernet card should work fine. You can of course get another wireless card as well. Either one is not that expensive.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice