Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP! No Audio Output Device Red X Over Sound Icon

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
Hello All,

This is my first time to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.

I have a one year old HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop that came with Vista. We installed Windows 7 about 6 months ago or longer and I haven't had this problem until now, so I don't think it had to do with putting W7 on it.

Out of the blue when I turned my computer on the other day the sound icon on the taskbar had a red X on it. My first thought was that the sound was muted, but I checked that and then noticed when you hover over the sound icon that it says "No Audio Output Device is installed." And when you click on "playback devices" it doesn't show any sound devices.

Well, I searched all over the internet for a solution and installed drivers, used system restore and reinstalled windows even! But to no avail. I heard some other people with this same problem would get there sound back on and off, all of the sudden, and that's what happened with my computer. The day before yesterday the sound was back when I turned my computer on. And then yesterday it was off again.

So, now I have run out of ideas to try. If anyone knows of something that might work to fix this problem please let me know.

It's been like this for about 3 or 4 days now, on and off mysteriously.

Thanks for any help I get.
~Grace

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you aware of the severe problems with that model of laptop: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en
There's many more symptoms and models affected then just listed there but HP is refusing to do the right thing and issue a proper recall for all affected models.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for that unit, its absolutely critical.

Which specific model of the DV2000 do you have: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=dv2000&submit=Go+%BB

Is the sound/audio enabled in the BIOS?

Have you installed the correct Windows 7 audio drivers?

#3 ·
I would tend to think the audio on the mb is failing since you have already tried system restore AND a clean install of win7. If it is still under warranty, then return it for service. Other than that, you can attempt to clean the system; laptops do get dirty inside and as a result run hot. Get a can of air [available at any computer or office store] and blow through the vents until no dust comes out. Pw ON the system and see how it works.

#4 ·
First of all thank you both for replying!

I am aware of all of the problems, as I've had other problems in the past. But we didn't know about it all when we bought the laptop (actually have two), they were on sale so it was kind of a spur of the moment buy, as we had been wanting to get a couple laptops.

I think the biggest problem is how over heated they get, so we always keep ours up on something, so it doesn't cover the air vents.

I've tried getting the Bios for Vista 64-bit, because they don't have one for Windows 7. But it didn't work, I could try it again now that we've reinstalled on here, should it work? I know Vista was the operating system right before they came out with W7, so would it not matter if I used that?

I have the HP Pavilion Dv2000 model (both of our laptops are the same), http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...link=ot_we/prodlink/en_us/1817074/loc:0&cc=us

How do you check to see if the sound is enabled in the bios? (It probably is, but I'll check anyways).

Yes, I'm sure my brother has installed the correct drivers. He's been working with computers for at 10 years or so. And like I said before, I don't think it would be anything wrong with software, it's probably a bad mother board or something, I just wanted to get some other opinions before we decide what to do about it.

I read on a different site, where someone else was having the same problem as me and they said the mother board had been bad. So that's my best guess, is mine probably is going bad too. It's strange though how one day the sound will be on and the next day off again.

Like this morning it's on again, doesn't give any error or anything. :S And I'm sure it will be going off again, also I have another problem that just started happening recently too. The computer won't come on, unless I press the power button about 20 times! And another thing that happened only once the other day was, all of the sudden the computer let out a LOUD long beep sound and it wouldn't stop, so we finally had to remove the battery. It has only done that once though.

Wouldn't you just know it, that I'd be getting all these problems a few months after the warranty goes out! It had a one year warranty, and we got them in Jan. of last year. So I guess we can't take them back.

Also we know all about blowing out computers, my brothers have been doing that to all of ours for years. And just recently (a couple days ago) when they reinstalled they blew it all out and even opened it up and looked around for anything that might be loose or something. But didn't see anything.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again.

#5 ·
Honestly it sounds as if the laptop is beginning its failure that is affecting these models.

Overheating is a huge problem with these units, failure to power up is another one, random hardware issues is yet another.

Is it the 64bit version of Windows 7 that you have or the 32bit? The Vista BIOS update utility may with with Windows 7...

HP does not list Windows 7 compatible drivers for that laptop, including the sound.

Have you run Windows Update and made sure to manually select and install any and all driver updates?

#7 ·
I have the 64-bit version. I haven't found any updates on the HP site for Windows 7, so I have tried some Vista ones, but they haven't worked. Yes, we've tried the windows updates too.

We're going to try to see if updating the bios or something will work later. I'll update if it does.

Thanks

#10 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. We might have a fan I can use.

I hadn't thought of the button problem being dust, we'll have to look into that.

I'll say they're poorly built! :p The air vent is on the bottom of the computer, and it's a "LAPtop" so you're going to be using it on your lap, why not put the vent on the back or side instead of the bottom where it will be covered up when you set it on your lap? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.