Help no Backgrounds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gaylata

I bought my Husband an IBM ThinkPad 2887 It only has 128 mgs of memory( working on that) and he has a website but when he uploaded (Or downloaded it I get those two mixed up.) The backgrounds are not showing up on the Laptop but it shows up on the PC any sugestions. Is the memory to low and so it chooses not to run backgrounds??? I no nothing about HTML. Help Please!!
:(

when i uploaded my website on my laptop, i had problems with the quota (space available) and the logo didnt upload, so i checked the site to see what hadnt uploaded, logo didnt appear. however, after fixing it and uploading the site fully, the logo has never shown up on my laptop, but does on all other pcs, despite deleting all cache and temp internet files.

did your husband check his site whilst it was being downloaded, creating the same problem i had.

either that or the broadband isnt fast enough to download a possible large image for the background and times-out?

gaylata

I don't know if he check it out while he was downloading it. I will have to ask him and get back to you on that.

Hello
The memory isnt a problem for websites, but it is for running windows xp, especially if your husbands video card is an integrated or shared peripherial, since it uses some of the 128 mb of memory. I would upgrade that ASAP, 512mb should be an absolute minimum for a laptop, 1024 is preferred.

Uploading is putting files onto a server (like your webspace), downloading is bringing file(s) from a server to your computer (such as images on a site, or original site files, programs etc)

The problem may occur if the image is not set correctly in the html document (or css sheet). Can you provide a link to the site so that the html can be verified?
If not, then ask your husband to check the background image attributes in the html, if it is listed as file://C:/Documents and Settings... then the image url is pointing to the actual file on the computer that the site was created with, and is wrong.

Hello again, your page background image BACKGROUND="bg_imax.gif" does not exist on the webserver, therefore is not downloading when the page is loaded on the laptop (or any other computer) and does not show. Because it is an embedded image, it is not included in the upload when updating a page. You must be sure to manually upload it to the server and it will show.

sorry, i may have mis read what you said earlier, i thought you said the background shows up on all other pc's. if it doesnt show up at all just ignore what i said earlier

gaylata

He gets no background on any website I have never heard of this before any ideas Please
:mad:

gaylata

the backgrounds showed up with Netscape but not with IE Must be something wrong there!

First, the background file (imax.gif) does exist. What version of IE are you using? Try resetting your IE web settings. :)

This is not really a Web Development problem anymore, I'll have it moved. :)

Go to Tools > Internet Options... > Programs tab and click Reset Web Settings. Then go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab and click Restore Defaults.

Eriksrocks said:
First, the background file (imax.gif) does exist. What version of IE are you using? Try resetting your IE web settings. :)

This is not really a Web Development problem anymore, I'll have it moved. :)
Eriksrocks......FYI when I answered on the 20th (two days prior to your post) there was no bg image available on the server as called in his page, his page bg was set as bg_imax.gif which he has since corrected to imax.gif.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online