1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! No Disk Space

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by conman22, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conman22

conman22 Thread Starter

Greetings,

Forgive me for my complete illiteracy when it comes to these things. But, I have a BIG problem and need IMMEDIATE assistance as what I am trying to do has a deadline to be met.

I have a hard drive on my Acer Vista laptop with a max space of 33.5GB. Currently, though, it shows only 950MB free. How do I figure out what's taking up all the room and how do I create some space? I have no videos, a handful of music and pictures, but nothing else other than a bunch of Word and Excel files. I deleted AIM, Google Earth, etc. (including my sound device) and still don't have room. Also, tried the disk cleanup.

HELP!!! If you have a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks to who ever is still awake to help me figure out the madness.

Take care,
    MC

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

It could be there is no limit set on Restore Points and Shadow copies.
    Open an Admin Command prompt: Click Start, type cmd, press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
    In the Command Prompt window, type this:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    Check the last line for Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space.
    With a 33.5GiB drive is shouldn't be more than 5 GiB by default.
    If it says Unbounded (or is it no limit?), or is set higher than that, that's the issue.
    You can set a smaller size with this command:
    vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=3gb

This would set it to 3 GiB, about 10% of the 33.5 GiB hard drive.
    Restore Points and shadow Copies will be deleted if need be, starting with the oldest.

Or you can delete all but the last Restore Point:
    In Disk Cleanup:
    Click Files for all users
    Click More Options tab
    Under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click the Clean Up... button, then click the delete button.

This will delete all but the most resent Restore Point. It will also delete all but the latest Previous Version of files (Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate).

You can also change the Max size for the Recycle Bin. to gain a little more space.
    Right click the Bin, click Properties
    You can set the max size for each drive (if you have more than one)

HTH

Jerry

3. conman22

conman22 Thread Starter

Jerry,

I appreciate you getting back to me. I got to the command prompt without problems. However, when I type in vssadmin Resize Shadow Storage (ShadowStorage connected), I get this as a response:

Error: A required option is missing.

Resize ShadowStorage /For=ForVolumeSpec /On=OnVolumeSpec [/MaxSize=MaxSizeSpec]
    - Resizes the maximum size for a shadow copy storage association between ForVolumeSpec and OnVolumeSpec. Resizing the storage association may cause shadow copies to disappear. If MaxSizeSpec is not specified, there no limit to the amount of space it may use. As certain shadow copies are deleted, the shadow copy storage space will then shrink. MaxSizeSpec must be 300MB or greater and accepts the following suffixes: KB, MB, GB, TB, PB and EB. Also, B, K, M, G, T, P, and E are acceptable suffixes. If a suffix is not suppplied, MaxSizeSpec is in bytes.

Example Usage: vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=D: /MaxSize=900MB

I typed that exact thing in the command (changing, of course, the D: to C: and 900MB to 3GB) and get this as a response:

Error: The specified volume shadow copy storage association was not found.

Any guidance on how to solve that? I am assuming that since I got that error, that my storage didn't increase to 3GB like we are trying to do? Thanks again for the help so far and hopefully this will be the last hurdle to jump.

MC

4. StringJunky

StringJunky

HI

I've used the ' vssadmin ' command recently and it took me 4 attempts before it worked due to small errors in my typing. The last value of that line MUST be in CAPITALIZED letters i.e 3MB, 3GB. Type this exactly and observe the spaces as well:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=3GB

The rest of the line before it is not case-sensitive but I've done it this way for clarity in lower-case...it worked for me.

I Hope this helps.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

That's odd, on Vista Ultimate I can type the entire line in lowercase. Wouldn't think case would matter, but the spacing is critical. Certainly worth trying. Wouldn't be the first time for an odd difference between versions.

If case matters, or the spacing is off, I'd expect:
    Error: Invalid Command or
    Error: A required option is missing.
    Then the help screen would be displayed, instead of the "not found" error.
    That should have been first vssadmin list shadowstorage. as the first command, to see what the current settings are.
    This error:
    indicates that it's not finding anything to set, so run the vssadmin list shadowstorage command and post the results.
    You can copy and paste from the Command Prompt:
    right click in the Command Prompt window, click Select All, then press Enter.
    Click in the Reply Window and press CTRL+V to paste (or right click | Paste)

Jerry

6. StringJunky

StringJunky

@Outkaste

I've just re-entered that command again into my computer all in lower-case and it worked this time. It wouldn't work before with that parameter in lower-case ...must have entered something else wrong. I take it all back! :eek:

7. conman22

conman22 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. However, for whatever reason, the command prompt can't seem to read my command at all. From the beginning, I went to Start, then I type cmd, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, which brings me to the command prompt, which begins with:

C:\Windows\system32>

After the system32> I typed vssadmin list shadowstorage and get this as a response:

No items found that satisfy the query.

I've tried ALL CAPS, no caps, capitalizing List and ShadowStorage, all with the same response. But, when I just type vssadmin, I get Error: Invalid command (understandably), but it then shows ----Commands Supported----, which lists both List ShadowStorage and Resize ShadowStorage (along with some other commands), so I try vssadmin list shadowstorage, and get the same response as earlier. I then give the command vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=3GB one last try (both capitalizing and not capitalizing "GB"), and get this as a response:

After I got that message is when I started writing this. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it is. I tried typing the commands letter-by-letter, with the other hand, etc. just to make sure I typed it correctly and still couldn't figure it out.

Any advice from here? I'm probably being annoying, but I have no clue what I'm doing at this point. Thanks for the help guys.

MC

8. geodripp

geodripp

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Haven't seen that message before. I turned off System Restore and still get a listing.
    This could be due to System Restore being disabled due to the low free space though.
    You can check to see if System Restore has been turned off here:
    Control Panel | System Properties | System Protection
    [Shortcut - Click Start, type SystemPropertiesProtection and press Enter. (No spaces and not case sensitive)]

33.5 GB is awfully small for Vista. Did this laptop ship with vista, or was it upgraded?
    Was the original C: Partition shrunk to create a Data partition?
    If you have unallocated space to the right of the C: partition, you can extend the partition into that space.
    Right click Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management.
    If you can post a screen shot of that we can see what you have to work with.
    How to Post a Screenshot

Here's some other Disk Space utilities you can use in addition to WinDirStat:
    TreeSize Free
    Disk Detective
    JDiskReport

Jerry

10. conman22

conman22 Thread Starter

Jerry,

Attached (I think) is the screenshot of my Disk Management. I seemingly uninstalled all the programs I have manually added (except iTunes and Microsoft Money) and it still only shows just over 1GB. However, you were right in that it doesn't appear any system restore points have been set. Should I go ahead and do that? If so, how?

Not too sure of any of the technical questions you asked. I got the laptop as a college graduation gift two years ago and just started plugging away.

Any guidance on where to go from here would, as always, be appreciated.

Take care!

Attached Files:

11. geodripp

geodripp

I know this is a stupid question but... you have been removing things from your recycling bin. That happened to me once....

12. conman22

conman22 Thread Starter

Yeah, my recycle bin is wiped clean. My entire computer is pretty much stripped, outside of a ton of Excel and Word files, but those are nothing more than a few KBs each. I have no clue on anything else that could be eating up my disk space, but since everybody here is smarter than me, hopefully somebody will come up with some ideas.

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Well, the first partition on the left, the 7.81 GB, should be the Recovery partition. But this shows that it is empty. I don't know if it really is empty, or if it's normal to appear empty on an Acer.
    This is where the image of the system is stored that is used to create your Recovery DVD, and do a restore to the Factory Defaults. There should be something on the All Programs menu for Acer eRecovery, with an option to create the recovery disk. If you haven't done so, you may want to; if the data is still there.

The D: drive also appears to be almost completely empty, showing only 0.3 GB used. I suspect that just the Recycle Bin and the System Volume Information folder.

So, two options:
    You can move data files to the D: Drive, like Videos and MP3s to free up some space on C:.

Or, save anything you have on D: that you want to keep, then delete the D: partition, and expand the C: partition into that space. That would change the C: drive from 33.51 GB to 66.72 GB, roughly doubling the size of C:. Or you can just add 10-15 GB to it and then create a new D: partition if you want a separate partition.

The Delete the D: Partition, right click on the D: partition, and click Delete Volume...
    To Extend the C: Partition, right click it and choose Extend Volume....
    Go through the wizard and select the size you want (It defaults to the max available).

I've never had a problem using Vista's tools to extend a partition, but there is always a slight chance something can go wrong. It's always a good idea to have your data backed up; always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

This should only take a minute or two, but you'll want to make sure it's plugged in, and your battery is not dead.

HTH

Jerry

14. conman22

conman22 Thread Starter

Jerry,

Your amazing! I went ahead and deleted the D: drive. It said some space was used on the D:, but when I opened it up, it said it was empty. So, I guess it was just some default storage, I don't know. But, what I don't know, I never will, so nothing is seemingly lost. This should buy me some time on my C: for a while at least.

I'm sure I'll mess something else up on my computer again pretty soon. So, do me a favor and make sure you still around, okay?

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it. I can rest easy now knowing I have some wiggle room. I'm sure I'll be annoying y'all again in the future.

Take care,
    MC

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome.

You may want to check and see if System Restore is set to monitor the C: drive, and is now working. Hopefully it was just disable because of the lack of free space.

If it doesn't show a Restore Point in the System Properties dialog, and the System Restore button is greyed out, there may be something else going on as well.

Jerry

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!