1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! No internet after reformat!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WooAndHoo, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WooAndHoo

WooAndHoo Thread Starter

Hey guys, I preformed a destructive reformat on my HP Pavilion a1101n desktop and reinstalled Windows XP from my partitioned hard drive and now my internet doesn't work. My router is working fine (I have a laptop connected to it now) and there are no exclamation points in the device manager pointing to any possible problems. I went the manufactures website and downloaded the drivers I think I need. I installed Service pack 2 and 3 and then the chipset driver. When I try to run 'Original Modem Driver Collection' and 'Original Realtek LAN Drivers' it gives me the message "The original drivers are stored in the C:\HP\Drivers\Modem folder. Please install the driver though the device manager". The other one says the same thing but in the C:\HP\Drivers\LAN folder. I don't understand what to do or even if I downloaded the right things.. Any advice would be great

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's surprising (to me) that the HP downloads are not self-extracting, self-installing executables and that there are no updates. But, I looked at their web site and believe that you downloaded the right things.

If what you don't understand is how to "install the driver though the device manager" just open Device Manager - right click on the device in question - select 'Update driver software - point to the stated folder. I don't remember the exact steps for that last part; you tell it something like "browse for driver on computer" and eventually you specify (or browse for) the folder name that you quoted above.

3. WooAndHoo

WooAndHoo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Terry :)

I tried that without any luck. When I use the 'browse' option the folders don't show up at all and when I type it in manually it tells me 'The location you specified does not contain any device information files. Please enter another location or uncheck the 'include this location in the search' box'. I know those folders exist on my computer because when I try to run those two downloads I can see it saving a number of things into those folders.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you see in the folders?

You can naviagte to any folder on your system in Device Manager. Are you doing from the dialog that starts with the floppy drive?

5. WooAndHoo

WooAndHoo Thread Starter

It doesn't work when I direct them to that folder. I managed to find the realtek one in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and successfully installed it but I'm not sure where the 'LAN' one went. I'm lead to believe it might be in C:\Windows\Prefetch but it doesn't work when I try to direct it to that folder. I'm supposed to be installing it through 'Modems' in the Device Manager, right?

I don't know what you mean when you ask if I'm doing it from the dialog that starts with the floppy drive, but I don't have a floppy drive so I guess I'm not

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

All the driver dialogs end with the floppy drive whether you have one or not. You keep making all the manual choices until you get to the page that says to "Browse" for the driver and the box has A:\ already in it for the floppy drive. You then browse to your driver folder and look for the setup information file.

But you need to know where they went to first. If you have 7-zip, you can right-click them and extract to a folder on your desktop instead of wherever they want you to look for them.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Partly right. "Modems" is likely your 56 Kbps dial-up modem. Your ethernet adapter ("LAN") should be under Network Adapters, but if it has no driver yet will probably be an "Unknown device" or "Other device."

8. WooAndHoo

WooAndHoo Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys, I got it working after a lot of searching around. I'll post what worked for me in case anyone else has the same problem. Support from Microsoft told me to do the following - Reformat again and this time I installed Service Pack 2 but I didn't install Service Pack 3. Apparently SP3 can cause connection problems on some computers. Before doing anything else I had to uninstall the Norton anti virus that came with the computer and promited me to set up the free trial every time I turned on the computer. I uninstalled it and also ran the removal tool. ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe Some computers came with McAfee and the same applies to them. Uninstall and run the removal tool after that at http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe . When after that you can install the chipset and update drivers if necessary.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice