1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, No post, no beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evesham, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evesham

evesham Thread Starter

Hey guys, good forum you have here, i'm learning a lot.

Normally i can fix a broken pc but this one im puzzled with.

I have a Pentium 3, slot 1 Xblade computer with an Intel M/B which will not display a bios screen or beep. Sorry I can't give more detail, the pc is not mine.

I've rejigged the memory, took out all pci cards, tried another agp card, tried another monitor, removed all IDE's, tried another PSU, renewed the cmos, and then the final step was I replaced the whole motherboard using paper washers just in case it was shorting.

Still the same result, as soon as I plug in the PC, it starts on its own accord and alls I get is the red HD activity light on permanent. All the fans and PSU spin as normal, just no Display whatsoever.

The only thing I can think of is dead processor (rare) or faulty case.

Any ideas or suggestions please?

2. osterac

osterac

Check to see if the capacitors are bulging or leaking. If they are, you know it is a bad mobo. Also you could check out all the jumpers on the board. If you see a reset CMOS jumper, try putting it in a different position. A reset CMOS jumper in the wrong position would cause those symptoms. There are many other jumpers that could be on a PIII board that could cause problems, such as buss speed multipliers and the like. They could be dip switches instead of jumpers too, so look for those. Try to get the manual for the board online if you get stuck. Somtimes the model number is written on the board, other times you need to go with the number on the chipset.
    I hope I have helped you, and good luck.

3. evesham

evesham Thread Starter

hey thanks for takin the time to reply osterac.
    There is no manual online, everyone is after it and none exist.

theres no dip switches and ive tried the cmos reset.
    It cant be any of the jumpers as the pc has been workin fine before this.

im stuck lol

4. osterac

osterac

You said you tried re-seating the RAM, did you try re-seating the processor? take it out and blow out the slot, then put it in and pull it out several times.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You posted that you replaced the motherboard and another pw supply. As a quick test, find the pw switch leads from the case switch to the mb. Pull them off. Now plug in the system and see if it attempts to post by itself.

Note do make note of where these plug into on the board. Either make a drawing or take a pic of the leads before you start disconnecting.

6. evesham

evesham Thread Starter

yeah ive reseated the processor, its a slot 1 processor, it looks like an agp card lol

removing the pw switch, the system still attempts to post.

i have just tried the m/b out of the case, with just gfx card and cpu, it still attempts to post all by itself.

so as a process of elimination its the cpu or does anyone have any more ideas?

thanks for your help so far guys

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Alright with the pw switch leads disconnected and the system tries to post, it is either the pw supply or the motherboard.

Swap in a known working pw supply to start. I know you said you tried another one however was this pulled from a working system or was it just one that was sitting around?

8. evesham

evesham Thread Starter

hi crjdriver, yeah its from my old pc which works fine.

the m/boards new, and i can't see 2 m/boards having the same fault with diff power supplys.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With the pw switch leads pulled off, it is one or the other. It is easier to swap pw supplies than motherboards.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the board is new, what is the model number?

11. evesham

evesham Thread Starter

thanks guys its an intel E139761 slot 1 m/board
    i've ordered a new cpu for £6 lol
    if thats not the problem, then it will have to be sent to pc heaven

12. evesham

evesham Thread Starter

thanks for all your help guys, it was the processor chip, new one in and hey presto it worked.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice